Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

what choke?

skeeter

I have two thread in Rem-Chokes for my 11-87, Improved Cylinder, and Modified. I leave the IC in for about 98% of shooting. I have used the Modified choke exactly twice in the last 3 years (Shotgun Stage #1 at the 2001, & 2002 3gun Nationals).

Regards,

SKEETER:

My esteamed colleague Benny Hill and I discussed this at length at dinner and I still feel that Light Modified is the "all round" choke! It works pretty good close and like fire farther away!! We also discussed a little gamey thing ( has to do with shot cartridges) and some time I might post it, after the propper amount of testing of course.                                    KURT

I usually shoot improved but I've seen steel that improved would not take so I'd say light mod as well.

Light mod will take poppers at 25, it will make you feel better when there are no shoots about, and it smacks steel down with authority.   It is not as good as improved or skeet for shooting at clay, especially if moving.

Speaking of clay, one thing I noticed at MM3G is that people would often charge up to clay targets with a shotgun rather than shoot them at distance.  With a shotgun, the closer you are, the less pattern you have.    

(Edited by kellyn at 12:25 pm on Mar. 12, 2003)

I've been using Briley Light Modified choke for all 3 gunning matches.  I didn't know what to expect at SMM3G, so just brought along some #6 heavy game loads (and it worked to terminate those pesky plates that hang onto to the Texas Star device like flies on sh_t at Stage 4).

No problem with slugs, even full power.

• 2 weeks later...

well maybe not. after a range section the rifled choke tube shoots remington reduced recoil slugs like sh!t. tried a few thru the modified were much better. but a few people told me this was bad and could break something. whats the real scoop, can you shoot alot of slugs thru a modified? for some reason i like to shoot slugs, whenever walmart has them on sale i buy as many as i can get. then go to the range and fire 100 rounds of full power slugs.

Skeeter:

A modified choke is just fine for LOTS of slugs, won't break a thing!!!! As a matter of fact John Shaw, Todd Salmon, Myself, and many otheres consider this the perfect choke for accuracy w/ slugs. I have shot over 6 cases of slugs in the last 5 years through my modified choke and light modified choke and nothing "broke" except my check book!! All I use are full on Remmington slugs as I find them the most consistent for me!! KURT

Mike45:

Think of a Light Modified as right between Improved cylinder and Modified. Improved modified is right between Modified and full.

Very rarely have I found IC to be a great choke for shotgun competition. It is usually to spred out to be of much use on plates and poppers past about 15yds and if ther are plenty of no shoots around I find it almost enhances "white strikes". Modified and Light Modified seem to be the best balance. Almost ALL sporting clays greats only use one of these chokes. No more switching for them!! an Improved Modified may be a little tight BUT it depends on how it patterns out of YOUR shotgun! Any way you slice it by far better a IM than an IC. I know that with this post LOTS of guys will chime in and say what about REALLY CLOSE clays. Well there is a great answer to this and as I alluded to befor, some day I might post it, but for now this is enough. Mike 45 if you want the secret E-mail me and I will share with you, I don,t want this all over the states! KURT

Skeeter, If I read your post correctly you said you bought a rifled tube. Lead foster style slugs have rifling built into them to give them spin and are intended to be fired out of smooth bore barrels. The rifled choke tubes are for the sabot slugs that are smooth and need the rifling in the tube to put the spin on the round. I have found the modified tube in the .705 to .710 range gives me the best results with slugs. Any tighter and the slugs get deformed and it blows the groups. I generally get clover leaf groups under 50 and "A" zone all the way out to 100 with Federal Law Enforcement Reduced Slugs. The only problem I have ever found with slugs is they tend to unscrew the choke tubes. Just check them often and you'll never have a problem. I would rather go a little tighter when on a stage that requires only shot loads, I like to slam down the targets so I don't have to look back at a slow falling popper.

Mike45:

I have been e-mailing you but the mail keeps bouncing back! Has anything changed in your mail address? Let me know or e-mail me back and I will try to get the info to you! KURT

well i didn't really buy the rifled tube iit came with the barrel so i gave it a try. the rifleing on a foster slug doesn't add enough spin to help anyway. they fly staight because the nose is heaver than the base, like a shuttlecock, the right choke just lines it up right.