Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger .22/45

An earlier thread on .22 side matches got me to thinking about something that's been bothering me for a while. I, like many others on this board, have done a lot of practice work with a .22 to save cash on ammo. Possibly not like others on this board I've been burning up .22 LRs in pistols since I was old enough to hold one up, so I've got an ingrained interest in little guns.

So here's my question: Arguably, "everyman's" .22 auto pistol these days is the Ruger MK II in one of it's incarnations, so where's all the aftermarket crap? I know there's barrels and triggers out there, and that's great for the "hand-gun" folk- but what about crossovers from practical sports so it's a bit easier to use these guys for practical trainers? I also know that there are conversions out there, but a complete, new .22/45 can be had for $100 less than a conversion that'll arguably be more reliable.

I know that if it were up to me, I'd like to see the following for the .22/45:

(If anyone knows where I might find these goodies, POST!)

-Extended Mag Release

-Extended Slide Stop

-A Useable Thumb Safety

-Mag Well

-Mag Carriers

-Good Gunleather

-Adhesive Griptape (Eric, I just thought of this so I'll check your site directly)

Thoughts? Comments? Am I freakin' nuts?

I think the lack of race components is directly related to the lack of places to race them.

And unless somebody has about 50K burning a hole in their pocket, a 15 round mag will never happen. It damned sure won't be coming from Ruger. If I can get my hands on some more Mk1 mags, I might try splicing them together for 15.

• 3 years later...
A lot of those things are available from Broken Gun Ranch. They do all sorts of cool things to Ruger MkII and 22/45's. You can find them at www.brokengunranch.com and just look under the handgun section.

I came up with this thread by doing a search, but this site no longer exists - or at least is not in the same business. Is there anyone else out there who could put extended ambi safety on a Rugger 22/45 Mk III?

I'm specifically looking for an extended safety for a Mark III 22/45.

Anyone know where to find one?

Try these:

Button only here- http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/Pro...0BUTTON%20CATCH

or

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/Pro...0CATCH%20BUTTON

The first is the one I use on everything from 22/45's and Buckmarks to 1911's, the second is on sitting on my bench waiting for the next project. Make sure you have a SHARP bit to start with as the releases are hard steel.

Hope that helps,

Dave Wilson

I'm specifically looking for an extended safety for a Mark III 22/45.

Anyone know where to find one?

Yet Dave is right the buttons are harder then heck :surprise: good sharp bit or a carbide bit in a dremal. I don't have a pic on the button I installed on my mag release but it should work on the safety as a matter of fact I think that may be my next project! :cheers:

I don't mind the mag release button.

I'm looking for an extended SAFETY similiar to a 1911.

That is definetly going to be a custom part. You may be able to take a 1911 safety and modify it to work. May be some welding involved.

Good Luck,

Jim

I don't mind the mag release button.

I'm looking for an extended SAFETY similiar to a 1911.

This Broken Ranch that has been referred to here in early post used to have one.It seemed to fit over the original safety. But , here lately I cannot even get their Website to work. Much less findout if they still make this part

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone ever used fiberglass or an epoxy to build up the grips on there 22/45. My gun is great, it shoots good groups the trigger is great (after I worked on it) and it runs all the time but it feels like I’m holding a 1x3 when I shoot it. I’ve seen guys put 1911 grips on there guns but I’m not really wanting to go that way (just don’t trust that the bushings will hold).

Has anyone ever used fiberglass or an epoxy to build up the grips on there 22/45. My gun is great, it shoots good groups the trigger is great (after I worked on it) and it runs all the time but it feels like I’m holding a 1x3 when I shoot it. I’ve seen guys put 1911 grips on there guns but I’m not really wanting to go that way (just don’t trust that the bushings will hold).

I'm sure you could just not sure how good it would look. So far I have not had any problems with the bushing on mine. A friend also made the comment to try and use grip bushings like what is used on an STI but I have not seen this and don't know what they look like.

Jim :cheers: