Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finish reaming a barrel

CrashDodson

I have a .40 pistol with a schuemann AET barrel that will not accept rounds with certain bullet profiles loaded as long as I like.  I have a pair of practice and match 2011's and I want to be able to load just one round.  I found in some other forums people talking about using a finish reamer to provide clearance for longer loaded rounds.  

I have emailed http://www.4-dproducts.com/ and Mason Reamers but not getting any response.  Does anyone have experience with these finish reamers and is this the tool I need for what I am trying to do?  I understand that I could lose a small bit of accuracy by messing with the AET barrel but at USPSA average distances I am not going to be able to tell.  Its much more important that I don't have to load separate rounds for practice and matches.  In a previous pistol I had a KKM match barrel that would accept really long length loads and was just as accurate as my guns with Schuemann barrels so I don't think removing a little bit of material is going to cause any noticeable change in accuracy.   

If the chamber is already headspaced properly you need a " throat" reamer.

A finish reamer will cut your chamber.

Cheely , Gram and several others will do it for 35-40.00 and turn around is about a week

Try contacting the barrel manufacturer.

Not apples to apples, but I had issues with an aftermarket Glock barrel not being throated enough to accept the 147gr loads I had worked up in the stock barrel.

I contacted the manufacturer, mailed it back to them with some dummy rounds, and had it back (free of charge) 2 weeks later.

I followed this YouTube video:

and had pretty good result on an aftermarket Glock barrel.  However, it did take me a couple of tries to find the right wrench for the reamer I have.

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=563121&highlight=

A very experienced gunsmith said this:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showpost.php?p=4809855&postcount=2

As others have already pointed out, it might be cheaper to just ask a gunsmith to do that for you.

We used a finish reamer to make sure the chamber could hold a 40 case on a Schuemann barrel.  The Schuemann barrel is pretty tough and dulled the reamer.  I'll have to get the reamer sharpened.  KKM barrels were much easier to ream.

Once the chamber is cut, you may need a throat reamer to accept longer rounds depending on the finish reamer.  Manson and PTG reamers will require a separate throat reamer.  I spoke with Kevin from KKM and he said there is another reamer manufacturer that makes their chamber reamers to accept longer loaded rounds so you do not need to do the extra step of throat reaming.

The better way to do this is probably to use a rough reamer followed by a finish reamer so that the finish reamer does not get dull so quickly.

Its cheaper to just have someone else do it unless you plan on doing a lot of barrels.

I'll third calling/emailing Beven.  He is very responsive, does great work,  and his prices are very reasonable. 

I've had him do a few 9mm barrels, and they all came out great.  No loss of accuracy or anything, just able to accept longer/blunter bullet profiles. 

If you decided to buy a reamer. Midway has one that is set up for loading long and cast lead. I have all of mine done with it and reliability is greatly increased with it. I have had no accuracy issues but I only shoot USPSA and 3 gun but the little plates are not a problem.

Don't e-mail Manson.  Call them, get a throater for $40, use plenty oil, go slow, and fix your problem.  

I don't know why we're talking about chamber reamers in this thread, that shouldn't be an issue and if it is that is an issue for Schuemann to fix since AET barrels are advertised as coming with finished chambers.