Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which press mounted bullet puller for 40?

Edge40

I just bought the RCBS, haven't tried 40 but worked fine with 10 so would be same I'm sure.  For SWC-types a smaller collet works better, ie 9mm for 45acp SWC, so it has something to grab onto... I suspect the same would apply for any collet base puller.  Both prob work equally as well, the RCBC was a bit less so I went with it, plus never really warmed up to Hornady.  I guess it depends do you want to spin to tighten or move a lever...

21 hours ago, Edge40 said:

Hornady website says it's intended for rifle cartridges only. Not sure why. 

It's not as easy to pull a pistol bullet with it because there isn't much to grab. Just take your time and get the depth right so you're not grabbing the case.

As others have posted, a Lee single stage with this puller works great. IMHO, of course.:)

Edited by glc

The Hornady Cam lock is what I had seen recommended but they were all out locally and on amazon when I looked. I bought an RCBS puller which uses different collets. You may need to crank down on it pretty good to remove a bullet depending on the coating and profile. When I use it on blue bullets I get a nice ring from the collet and the bullet is pretty much wasted, but it is only needed when initially setting the Lee FCD for me.

I got the  RCBS collet puller.  What a good tool.  I had  to pull 300 rounds.  No problem on my old Lee press with this puller.  All my coated bullets are still good to reload. I had no problems and saved a lot of work compared to my Frankford Kinetic puller.