Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seeing The Sight Lift?

boo radley

I have been off for a couple of weeks from our weekly PPC league. So in practice I was just "forcing my eyes open".

On Monday we started a new season and I literaly did just that. I "aimed" the shot and then just held my eyes open, forced open. I did not get my highest score ever but the shots I was down were very close to the 10 ring. Only one shot was "bad". That 9 I knew I had not kept my eyes open.

You know what the real revalation of this was. I did a couple of dry fires after I was done. I _BLINKED_ when I pulled the trigger with a dry fire. It was almost like I have programed myself to blink when I fire! This is a new one for me.

Ira

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I've tried:

I recently noticed when shootin my AR, if my eyes remained open after the shot, I knew where that shot went, even 200 yards out on a silhuoette target.

I've got a rather noisy Smith brake and an Aimpoint... I forced myself to keep my eye open and not react to the shot, i could even see the horacious muzzle blast through the aimpont......cool.

I have been able to use this during my shooting with my Limited gun and see the sight rise and fall. You have to train to not react to the blast effect.

Is This what you experience with an Open gun as well???

I shoot open execept for the occasional reshoot with a limited gun. I think this yr I have shot my limited gun 4 times. I was at a match a few weeks back and shot my open gun. The match had 7 stages and 4 were classifiers. I went through and shot again with my limited gun/limited 10 I'm not sure what it was but I seen my front sight like I have never seen it before. I could see it so easily. I don't know if it had to do with the dot on the open gun then switching to limited with the fiber optic. Anyways I shot just abput every classifier better with the limited gun/limted 10 because I was seeing the sight so easily.

Flyin40

Sixx,

Its neither of those, I use hots loads and no front sight.

I been thinking about it and I figured it out. I have been really working on seeing the dot in the A zone and I think I just automactically transferred it to seeing the front sight. I was doing some dryfire drills and figured it out.

Flyin40

It could be related to the noise of the open gun. I've noticed that when I double plug, it's easier to watch my sight throughout recoil. For some people this could have something to do with blinking during recoil.

With experience comes sensitivity. The more time you have behind the gun, the more sensitive you will become to it. It's almost impossible for a seasoned shooter to not notice his pistol going to slide lock. But as Flex suggested, you can speed up the noticing process by changing where you place your attention. For sure, if you didn't notice your gun was at slide lock, you weren't looking at it.

be

Shot about 200 rounds today working on elininating some bad habits. I meant to bring my muffs to wear over the plugs I have been using but forgot them. Even so I was able to go slow enough to notice the gun recoiling back. I can't say I was able to watch the sight itself but am getting closer. I think a lot of it was relaxing. I've been forcing myself to try harder, grip harder, muscle the gun, etc. Getting relaxed and closer to floating the gun improved my accuracy as well as my peripheral view. It also allowed me to realize how canted I was holding my head and straighten up. By the end of the session, I was conciously shooting both eyes open (something I have not been able to do consistantly), holding my head up straight and relaxing into the shot. I'm beginning to see how some shooters can bring the gun up into their vision and shoot rather than ducking down into the gun as I have been. Seeing the gun lifting in recoil seems to be part of the package rather then an accomplishment in its own right, at least for myself.

John

B)

Some people just don't get it. When you walk into someone's home for the first time and really want to learn something you come in with your hat in your hand. You LISTEN, you learn. When, you have a legitimate question, you ask it politely and the good people will gladly help you out.

If you come into someone's home for the first time all loud and obnoxtious and tell them that everything that they are doing is full of shit and they are all screwed up, you not only miss an opportunity to learn, but also miss making some great new friends.

Step back and think about that one for a moment.

Nice post.

Thats the best thing I like about this forum, you can get advice without worring about egos or putting people down. Even if people critique your technique or whatever its done in a way thats meant to help you.

Flyin40

Pffft... who needs sights? Pansies.

Aren't sights a formality???

They sure were for the first half of my practice session today. It was amazing how much faster I shot after I turned on the eyes and used the Bo-Mars......

Although I did have a 1.06 draw to a seven yard target today ---- without using the sights. The round even impacted the B-zone ---- but barely......

Previous best draw: 1.19 to an A.......

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few observations from someone who is new at this game.

Shooting in the dusk/evening hours of the range has helped me become more intune with what I see. Looking for and then seeing the muzzle flash has helped me break the blinking habit. I also melted the dot on my fiberoptic sight really big and just shot with it for a while. It wasn't so good for anything at distance, but it was cool to be able to track that big red dot on shots inside 25 yards. Having gone back to a standard dot up front, I can track it just like "big red."

However, more than anything, what has helped with seeing the sights lift is having a strong desire to call the shot. I set up a target at 50yrds and had a small IPSC target with me so I could "plot" my calls. I still have a ways to go but this drill has helped me a lot with seeing the sights lift and shot calling.

Rockclimbg

• 6 months later...

I have two different ways that I used /use to see the sights ... the first was to take three targets and shoot REALLY fast! at some point you WILL start to see the sights during recoil ... you may not realize it for a while but just start each shooting session this way and after a few weeks or even the first time you will start TO SEE ... the other is while your on deck or just standing around while some one is shooting ... focus on something like a blank wall WITHOUT THE SHOOTER IN VIEW and try to keep yourself from blinking it is a good way to get rid of a flinch without wasting your ammo! You can also start to watch other people while they shoot focusing on the gun ... and what it is doing.

And quit saying you CAN'T! Use your conscious mind to persuade your subconscious mind to start winning! it starts with the small stuff! I CAN! I WILL! I DID!

National champion 2008 WHAT? I CAN and I WILL :D

• 1 month later...

I am wondering how much should the sight lift.

I know in Brian's book he says the amount dosen't matter as long as the sight settles back to where it was.

I shoot a Para P14 45 with major loads.

I would like some indication. Should the muzzle rise 1/4 inch, 1/2 inch ?? what if your whole hand rises 3 inches.

al