Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no 90 degree micro mounts?

Garmil

Why is no one making these yet? Or are they and I just haven't seen?

Seems like a deltapoint pro or similar would work well on a 90 mount. Be lower to the bore than a standard micro and obstruct less view than a slideride at 90. You would gain window up and down where most of the movement is anyway and give up a little side to side which seems worth the trade off.

Thought about making one. Mocked it up, and it looked really goofy.  The Shield RMS from England looks extremely promising.  It has a really low profile.  Not sure you would need to mount that one at a 90.

Edited by bmiller

13 hours ago, Steve RA said:

JP is same as Shield.

That is what I have been told.  I think the jpoint, at least in the past, uses a plastic lense.  I thought I remember the shield optics use glass?  Either way, it looks like the jpoint is using a similar chassis now. The jpoint doesn't have the cutouts on the side, not that makes much difference. The jpoint a I have played with did not have the notchin the back, if I remember correctly.  I have a few prize table items I need to move and I might pick one up.

Hello: I think there is not any 90 degree mounts for the micro dots is that as stated above the funky way it looks threw the glass. If they had a round lens like the standard C-More slide ride then I think they would build some 90 degree mounts. I am still using the stock C-More slide ride and love it. Thanks, Eric

I'll start by pointing out that I am NOT a fan of the 90-deg style mount. That said, I understand why some people like them... namely, height over bore and ejection issue correction. Most micro-dot sights sit forward of ejection port, eliminating stovepipes by a case hitting the sight mount, and the height over bore is nearly halved over a traditional c-more. If vertical window space mattered that much, C-more would have designed it that way. You literally want to track your dot off the glass and back on in the 0.05-0.1 seconds it takes for the dot to return to center glass? Even with a Slide Ride the dot usually rises near the top edge and back down... but I'm not actively trying to watch it, I'm timing my next shot when it returns to center (or wherever I want my next shot) and staying target-focused. Therefore, I see absolutely no purpose whatsoever to run a micro-dot sideways. In fact, I thought that the micro-dot was a solution to all the people running 90 deg mounts. Maybe I'm crazy though.