Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stock 2 guide rod

Guide Rod: Stock or Aftermarket  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer/Is it necessary?

• Stock
    • Aftermarket (i.e. Henning)

6 minutes ago, emjei said:

I think all Stock 2 comes with steel guide rod o_O

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Oh, gosh, really?  Well, that was dumb of me.  I visited the Tanfo site last night and saw the plastic guide rod and assumed it was the stock offering.  

The factory GR will cause the frame to form a lip where it gets pounded.  the Henning part fixes that.  ALL my guns have a cone fit GR and I consider it mandatory. 

There is no performance gain with any. The EG is reputed to be a ripoff of the Henning design. Both fix the problem if the flat GR.  your choice to get the original or the...copy. 

Edited by johnbu

1 hour ago, johnbu said:

The factory GR will cause the frame to form a lip where it gets pounded.  the Henning part fixes that.  ALL my guns have a cone fit GR and I consider it mandatory. 

There is no performance gain with any. The EG is reputed to be a ripoff of the Henning design. Both fix the problem if the flat GR.  your choice to get the original or the...copy. 

The factory part deforms the frame?  Yikes. That sounds like poor design.  Seems like it would be well worth the $39 to pick up a henning. 

Edited by MissionaryMike

The factory part deforms the frame?  Yikes. That sounds like poor design.  Seems like it would be well worth the $39 to pick up a henning. 

Yeah, it is especially prevalent in the larger calibers, but I didn't want to risk it even for a 9mm. I've heard it can be very difficult to get the slide off after it deforms too much.

Yes, over time the frame where the slide /  GR hammers will form a lip. That lip causes issues.  not on "pedestrian" guns. But on high use competition guns it forms pretty quick.  Mine started to form that lip after a few thousand rounds. But since the Henning GR no problem.

I doubt your have a problem unless you were shooting 10mm or 38super open guns. And at that point... The guide rod would Probably be the least of your concern. Apparently people break slide stops more.

I shoot 13pf 9mm loads. I might get around to a guide rod from Henning. I really like the design of it, so I voted for the Henning guide rod. 

Wow ! I thought my loads were soft.... bet you can't even feel "13pf"

Lol, yeah I know, it's a typo, still struck me as funny!

16 hours ago, ryridesmotox said:

I doubt your have a problem unless you were shooting 10mm or 38super open guns. And at that point... The guide rod would Probably be the least of your concern. Apparently people break slide stops more.

I shoot 13pf 9mm loads. I might get around to a guide rod from Henning. I really like the design of it, so I voted for the Henning guide rod.