Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA/IDPA shooting and thumb safeties.

B_RAD

I've inadvertently activated mine a few times. For me, the CZ thumb safety is the only flaw I see in the pistol. Though, I'm still new to the platform so it may grow on me, but I doubt it!

Anyways, I wondering are folks who are shooting Prod/SSP replacing them with the flattest ones possible? I have a shadow.  

Im trying to get in the habit of putting my thumb on it to keep it down, which I think would solve any accidental engagements but I'm coming from a Glock so keeping my thumb on my weak hand wouldn't be an issue. 

So, thoughts?

also, can I just pop off the weak side and leave it off or do I need to buy a part to go in the right side of the sear cage/slide?

thanks!

Edited by B_RAD

Just now, slavex said:

just get the Rami/Flush safeties from CZ Custom

This is what I have installed.  Requires just a little bit of fitting, for me at least.  Works perfectly.  

Slavex picked one up for his Stock 2, which I hope I can find online soon, too. 

I switched from a 34 to. SP-01 with large safties. When I first got the gun I hated everything about it. I was engaging the safety on the draw most of the time. 

After some practice I really prefer the large safties. I draw with my thumb on top of the safety and this gives my weak hand thumb a constant place to go.

There is no need to change them. With a little practice the problem simply goes away.

Thought about installing thinner, but the DSPerman springs gave me a 100% fix. I recommend buying a half dozen or so, so if you lose one on occasion you never have to worry about it, he will give you a price break on quantity. 

Another flaw is the mag release, if you have them fail to drop you will find threads on how to bend the spring so you can not press the release too far. If you have them drop by accident you may want to go to the standard length mag release or just make sure that spring tension is what it should be. 

Neither is an issue for me now and both are fixed on the cheap. 

Not the Shadow safety but the regular SP01 safety is a good compromise.

Fitting the safety is an art, so don't get too crazy with the file.

A little more practice and some awareness also goes a long way to just not bumping them on.

When you install the extra power spring, don't forget to make the "pointy" part of the detent sharp/crisp as well with just a few quick passes of the file.

Edited by rowdyb

1 hour ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Thought about installing thinner, but the DSPerman springs gave me a 100% fix. I recommend buying a half dozen or so, so if you lose one on occasion you never have to worry about it, he will give you a price break on quantity. 

Another flaw is the mag release, if you have them fail to drop you will find threads on how to bend the spring so you can not press the release too far. If you have them drop by accident you may want to go to the standard length mag release or just make sure that spring tension is what it should be. 

Neither is an issue for me now and both are fixed on the cheap. 

Yeah I bought the perman springs. One of those with proper technique will eliminate the problem. Though, I may replace with the  thinner safeties later. 

I had the issues with the mags not dropping so I bent the spring. 

I have not had the issue with the mags dropping inadvertently and hope I don't!  

These guns are awesome but require a lot of tinkering to get them running right!

Edited by B_RAD