Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! - Replacing Hammer Spring - Now I'm Stuck!

SWHlctx

I've got a CZ 75 SP01 Tactical (decocker) model. I decided to replace the 8.5# hammer spring with an 11.5# because of light strikes. I thought it should be a pretty simple project. I've worked on my SP01 Shadow a little (replaced the safety lever) and didn't have any problems (even after all the little parts and springs went zooming all over the workbench), I managed to get it back together and go bang. But, I've never worked on the Tactical, so I must be missing something.

So, this morning I put the 11.5# spring in and after I got the gun back together I now can't get it to cock or pull the trigger. The hammer is on the decocked position.

I'm sure I'm missing some simple little step, but damned if I figure out what it is. I've watched every YouTube vid related to CZ assembly and disassembly and did see anything that would help.

Any ideas or guidance would be appreciated.

11 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

So you didn't mess with the sear cage or the decocker?  Just the grips, mag brake and spring plug?

That's correct. All I did was take the slide off, removed the grips, took off the hammer spring lanyard plug, took off the 8.5# hammer spring, put the 11.5# on and then reversed the procedure. I didn't fool with anything in the frame. I'm not sure, but I think I should have cocked the hammer fully back before I started, but I can't see how that would affect anything I did.

40 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

You've got me stumped, maybe an issue with the mag brake, I suggest taking it apart and trying again.  Have you looked at the pictures in this thread?

Yep, sure did. I went over the whole thread hoping I would see something, but didn't. I'm going to set it aside for today and try again tomorrow.

Take the mag brake and HS back out. Put them back in. I'd try to make sure the hammer is down. Very weird.  Maybe you weren't holding your mouth right?

Edited by B_RAD

42 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Take the mag brake and HS back out. Put them back in. I'd try to make sure the hammer is down. Very weird.  Maybe you weren't holding your mouth right?

Tried that 3 times. No go. I put the slide on thinking maybe I just  need to rack with the slide. Nope. Hammer is still stuck about half cocked. It is something about the decocker I haven't figured out yet.

What is really frustrating is I have SP01 Shadow that I was getting light strikes with also, so I put the 11.5# hammer spring on it. It took me about 2 minutes start to finish.

This is why people go back to Glocks!

Ok. I dont have one worh decocker so I don't know how those work. One more thing that's worth a try. 

Take the slide off. Pull the hammer back with your thumb and with the other thumb try to press on the top front end of the sear. The arm that that's contacts the safety. Press that. That may disengage  the sear/hammer. 

Before putting the slide back on I'd make sure the safeties are working correctly with the hammer cocked. Maybe one of the levers has worked out a little?

I'm fairly new to the CZ but I've taken mine apart a lot over the last three weeks.  So, I don't know if that'll help but it's worth a try. 

So the hammer  is stuck at decocked position? Slide is not on?

Mag brake is in place ? 

If the mainspring , mag brake and pin is out. Will the hammer move back?  Or still stuck? 

Edited by eerw

36 minutes ago, eerw said:

So the hammer  is stuck at decocked position? Slide is not on?

Mag brake is in place ? 

If the mainspring , mag brake and pin is out. Will the hammer move back?  Or still stuck? 

I can't get the hammer to move no matter what. Everything went back together just fine and I've taken it apart and back together 4 times. Still the same. I've tried putting the slide on to see if it would help, but the slide won't go past the decocked hammer position.

Baffling problem.

1 hour ago, eerw said:

Has anything ever been changed? New hammer? New disconnector? 

About everything. Bought all the parts from CGW to do the upgrades recommended and had a CZ gunsmith polish everything and put the parts in. I have changed the hammer spring 2 other times and didn't have a problem. I didn't touch anything in the frame, so I can't explain it. Should be able to drop the hammer spring out and replace it without any issues.

19 hours ago, eerw said:

My best guess is when disconnector was changed the #9 pin was not staked.

Have seen in some cases the pin will move, and block the hammer from moving.

Which is the #9 pin? I have an exploded diagram of a CZ and the only pins that look like they could cause the problem is the hammer pin and the hammer pin retaining peg.

He might be referring to the pin that holds the disco onto the hammer, but I've never seen one of those walk and interfere. I use the Cajun hardened pins and don't stake them, never had an issue. 

Silly question, is the spring over the hammer strut? I've seen people jam that together before, completely missing the strut

Edited by slavex

It is the pin that holds the disconnector in the hammer.  If the pin is not staked or fit super tight it can move and then block movement as it tries to move in the frame. 

Have seen this happen on a few occasions,.

1 hour ago, slavex said:

He might be referring to the pin that holds the disco onto the hammer, but I've never seen one of those walk and interfere. I use the Cajun hardened pins and don't stake them, never had an issue. 

Silly question, is the spring over the hammer strut? I've seen people jam that together before, completely missing the strut

Yes, sir, everything was correct with the install. I've installed a hammer spring in my Shadow 3 or 4 times and never had a problem.

I've learned there are no silly questions when it comes to working on a gun. I've done some really dopey things. Not long ago I did some work on my Glock 34 and was in a hurry to get it back together. When I got finished I put the slide on and the damn thing wouldn't cock with the slide. I looked the work bench and the barrel and recoil spring were laying there.

1 hour ago, eerw said:

It is the pin that holds the disconnector in the hammer.  If the pin is not staked or fit super tight it can move and then block movement as it tries to move in the frame. 

Stuart, would I be able to see this looking at the underside of the hammer (up through the gun) or is this something I'd have to disassemble the gun to see?

I agree, it has to be something like what you are suggesting. The hammer is stuck in the decocked position and will only move about 1/8" back so something is stopping it. It won't go forward at all. 

I'm at the point now that I have to leave it alone for awhile because I'm about ready to chunk it out in the back yard.

7 minutes ago, slavex said:

time to pop the searcage and see what you can see in there. maybe the decocker has something going on that I'm unfamiliar with. I only see a couple of those a year, if that.

I was hoping to avoid taking it apart, but I think you are right. Sounds like a good project for the weekend (not sure which weekend, lol).

3 hours ago, eerw said:

this happened to my decocker .....

Sorry, I was out of town all week on business and didn't get a chance to post the latest. I took Stuart's advice and disassembled the gun this morning. It was a little scary, but thanks to YouTube university, it went better than I thought it would. The weird part is I couldn't find anything wrong with it, nothing out of place, nothing broken, just nothing. So I cleaned it up good, lightly oiled and reassembled it.

I had some parts from CZC I wanted to put in it, so I got that done too. It is running fine and no problems. I don't what I did to fix it, but I've dry fired about 100 times without a problem. I'll take it to the range tomorrow to see how it goes with live fire.

I appreciate everyone's input and advice.