Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case gauge issue

Garmil

Have an egw 7 hole case gauge. 

Loading precision delta 124hp

the gauge is not letting the bullet go in far enough, my case dimensions after loading all check out.

dropping a round in the whole rim is above the gauge, I keep die settings the same and load a xtreme rn and it drops below flush.

anyone else had this issue? Any easy way to modify the gauge? The rounds work in my barrel and I know that's all that really matters but I'd like the gauge to work as well.

Get a EGW u die.  If your resizing glock fired brass they bulge a little more at the base because of the unsupported chamber.  The EGW die will get that last little bit.  If the rounds fit in your chamber, then you know you can get away with that much and don't worry about it.  The EGW gauge is really tight, they use min sammi specs.  I have had rounds not fit the EGW gauge, but fit others.  Your only concern is that they fit your gun.

The lee u die is not the same as the EGW.  But that still might not solve your problem.  I had the same thing happen with MG bullets. Resized case would fit the gauge, added the bullet no go.  Sanded on the bullet to prove it was the bullet and it would fit. Tried in a Hondo gauge and it fit, so I just didn't use those bullets in the EGW.  Maybe too long or short don't know, because I wanted to use that length.  They still fit the barrel either way.

As far as I know the egw die is made by Lee just sizes to slightly bigger than the Lee u die.

yeah sounds like a similar problem. Bullet hitting on the ring that the case bottoms out on 

16 minutes ago, Garmil said:

Correct it has a ledge that the case mouth sits on putting the rim just below flush.

They all have ledges but it must be throated too tight below that. I can drop various 9mm bullets through the Hundo and they all have plenty of wiggle

56 minutes ago, Garmil said:

yeah I guess so. Thinking about polishing with a dremel see if I can make it work, if I stay at the ledge or below shouldn't hurt anything.

It may get be worth a try to contact them first ? Maybe they had a bad run or something.

First let me say that the EGW gauges are excellent but I have noted some variation in their specs.  I have a 4-guage (9, 38, 40 45) and a 50rd 9mm.  I load a lot of 9mm open.  The tolerances in the 50 rd are a little than the other one.  About 3 in 50 fail but all 3 of those gauge fine in the other one.  Most importantly, ALL of them end up shooting fine in my STI.  I started using EGW several years ago when I had a serious problem with a different .40 gauge.  All of the round gauged fine but 3 in 100 didn't chamber so it really screwed me in a major match.   

I wish the 50 rd EGW was a little looser but I have confidence that every round that passes will work at a match.  Hope that contacting EGW works out well.

I have the same EGW 7 hole gauge and mine has the exact same issue.  Any bullet with a high shoulder (ogive) will not work in the gauge unless I load way shorter than I want to load to.  Xtreme work well since they have really low shoulders, but for many other bullets the gauge is useless.  I've switched to the hundo gauge, it's awesome and has no issues with any bullet profiles I've tried so far; totally worth the cost.

When I first got the EGW gauge I tried emailing them about it...they never replied...

On Saturday, October 01, 2016 at 0:09 PM, Garmil said:

Have an egw 7 hole case gauge. 

Loading precision delta 124hp

the gauge is not letting the bullet go in far enough, my case dimensions after loading all check out.

dropping a round in the whole rim is above the gauge, I keep die settings the same and load a xtreme rn and it drops below flush.

anyone else had this issue? Any easy way to modify the gauge? The rounds work in my barrel and I know that's all that really matters but I'd like the gauge to work as well.

It is the bullet profile. That brand of bullet may have to be seated deeper to gauge in an egw. Easyest thing to do is use a bullet that will gauge. The way to check this is the old sharpie test. Color your bullet with a sharpie, drop it in the gauge, with a little pressure spin it, look at the bullet for marks.