Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Support And Glock Aftermarket Barrels

sasquatch981

Do the after-market berrels for Glock 22's' and 35's from KKM and Barsto have better case support than the factory barrels. I read all too much about KB's and now before I make a purchase I am getting nervous.

I reload my own ammo as most of the people on this forum and use MasterBlasters Molycoated bullets. Is this a big "NO-NO" in a glock barrel, or am I just paranoid?

Matt

There are quite a few threads on these subjects archived on the forums - a search should turn them up.

Very briefly, though:

The aftermarket Glock bbls I have seen for sale are touted mainly for two things - conventional rifling, to permit the shooting of lead bullets, and oversized lugs, to be gunsmith fit for optimal accuracy. I don't know if the geometries of the ramps and chambers are any different, as far as bulged fired brass goes.

KB's are subject to huge debate, because most cases are anecdotal, and those that aren't have multiple possible explanations. The ones I've heard about don't usually involve case wall failure, though many folks (yours truly included) do have concerns about gradual weakening of the case wall over multiple firings. I think most KB's relate to lead bullets or overly hot handloads (and lead bullets often but not always means handloaded ammo anyway).

FWIW, Glock would not have you fire lead through your factory barrel. You will void your warranty (although any reloaded ammo, including jacketed, will do the same, as will using an aftermarket barrel). I don't know what they would say to "factory" moly or plated.

AFAIK, factory jacketed ammo doesn't lead to KB's from case rupture, otherwise Glocks would be unsellable. Loading jacketed will get you around the lead problem. If you want to shoot lead, you take your chances (and the opinion on the degree of risk varies a lot) with your factory barrel. You could get a new barrel, but it's worth pointing out that the couple hundred dollars it would cost you for a drop in after market bbl would pay for an awful lot of jacketed slugs, and the extra money spent for a gunsmith fit bbl may not buy you much more practical accuracy.

Yes,

Aftermarket barrels are supposed to give better support, conventional rifling and better accuracy than the factory barrel. I have two Barsto's for my 22 and 35 and now my 34. The point of impact is slightly lower with the Barsto barrels in compared to the factory barrel. I will say the factory barrel gives about 20 fps faster velocity over the Barsto barrels.

I havent shot the Barsto out of the 34 yet, but the previous owner said he could get half dollar groups out of it.

I have a KKM barrel in my G35. I can put my fired cases back in the case guage. So i'd have to say they were more supported than factory.

That wouldn't really mean "more supported", it just may mean a tighter chamber.

The support debate is about the 6 O'clock position in the back...or, how deep the ramp is cut.

You can find pictures of this on GlockTalk.

I have a KKM barrel in my G35. I can put my fired cases back in the case guage. So i'd have to say they were more supported than factory.

well it eliminates all of the buldge at the 6 o'clock position so i would say its more supported.

I purchased a drop in Jarvis barrel for a G35, much better case support and if it jammed it was due to my reloads being too long or a weak Arredondo +20 mag spring. I'm sure I can mike and it measure a slight bulge but visually it doesn't exist. I'm sure the factory barrel would do fine with lead type of loads as long as the buildup is removed, if not that means extra pressure...

Plus 180gr, OEM barrel, and Bullseye isn't what I want to try in one of my guns. Accuracy is about the same as the factory tube but for some reason the aftermarket barrel seems more nose heavy.

well it eliminates all of the buldge at the 6 o'clock position so i would say its more supported.

I think I was reading soemthing into your post other than what you were trying to say. Sorry about that.

My kkm glock barrels have very similar support compared to the stock barrels. The only "fully supported glock barrels I've seen are the KKM "Nagel" version of their 9mm barrels. .... The feedramp does not enter the chamber area at all.... Maybe John will chime in..

As you can see many of the box stock barrels have unsupported chambers

http://www.glocktalk.com/attachment.php?postid=3440870

Sorry about jumping off the topic... The answer is yes to your question they are slightly better supported than the stock barrel. Not fully supported but better...

in short,

barsto alittle more

kkm more supporteed

kkm gunsmith fit most suported.

storm lake good suport.

no barrels provide "full suport " as the case has to fit into the slide.the main issue is that the suport is well into the web wher the case thickens up.

the best way to limit poped cases is to Know your brass and limit the firings. what is that number depends on your load. I load major 9 3 times from new or leave once fired on the ground.40 with tight group load them many times. Its all relitive to presure in the chamber and the working of thr brass. The hotter the load and biger the chamber heat and streach are your foe. heat makes cases brittle and strech just make for a weak spot as the case is reformed in the sizer.

MHO

Johhnie

No problems with Brian Hawley's creation with his TI comp and KKM barrel. Several recipes of Major9 over the chrono and nothing to report other than primer flow with some powders.

HS6 powder at 8.xx gr gave no problems whatsoever. After I resize the cases I'll give a more thorough report. 100% reliable Open G17 with any ammo over 155pf.

I run 147gn Masterblasters through both a 17 and a 34 with stock barrels.

No problems with leading.

The only problem I had as using Titegroup to push the pills. TG is too fast for MBs - strips the cladding, makes the bullet tumble.

I use HS-6 and all is well.

you will fined barsol gives more saport than kkm

I can only speak to the example of my Glock 21. The Glock chamber measurements were with in tolerance when compared with barrels from an S&W 4506, S&W99, Colt Series 80/90 and Springfield. The Bar-Sto barrel feed ramp incline different angle, which allowed more case support but the chamber dimension at the largest diameter measurement, was identical.

I have my own little story to add on glocks and KB's......I have had two case head seperations in a G35 and G23 (one in each). Both cases were PMC and each time this happened, the magazine was blown out of the magwell and the extractor hit me in the face (right in the shooting glasses, so wear them!) At the time I was reloading on a single stage press and I am sure that the loads were not over pressured (at least from a powder standpoint). I was shooting 200gr lead bullets and just cleaned the bbl regularly (every 1k or so). I started loading on a friend's 1050 and wasn't real familiar with how it worked. One day I just happened to be shooting over a chrono after a match. On about the 7th round, my Glock sounded like a .44 Magnum and the recoil nearly sent the pistol into my forehead :blink: The first thing everyone did was looked at the velocity of that howitzer round I just touched off! 1182fps for a 200gr bullet.....that's a 236PF :unsure: After the numbness in my hands had subsided we decided to look for the fired case (or what we thought might be left of it!) Nothing came apart on the gun and, after a short time searching, we found the abused case on the ground. I would say that the case had certainly been traumatized; however, it was still whole.....it just looked 9 months pregnant! This particular case was a Winchester model. I guess the moral of the story is, know your reloading equipment, if you're going to use lead bullets, don't use PMC brass, and if you like really, really, hot loads....use Winchester brass. Oh yeah, Glocks are tough!

• 6 years later...