Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gutted rifle buffer

optimator

I finished up my new rifle last night, other than the buffer. If I take the weights out and just use the empty buffer will it be too light? I'm using mid gas, AIM LW BCG with a RCA gas key. Along with a rifle length receiver extension. Thanks guys.

I'm running RCA adj gas with 1 ounce Tac com rifle length buffer, spring system.   Runs fine. Just make sure to tune gas key.

Bus... Are you saying with key fully closed the BCG was not locking back?

Edited by biglou13

1 hour ago, busdriver02 said:

Why not see where the key adjusts with your setup now?
I have an RCA BCG & Key and couldn't adjust the gas low enough without weight in the buffer.

I'll give it a try first and see how it goes.

Edited by optimator

I tried a gutted carbine buffer and I couldn't close down the gas enough to get it to NOT lock back. Truth told I didn't spend much time with it, just tossed the weights back in and it works well. So end result is the RCA light weight carrier and adj key, turned out a half turn I think.

20 minutes ago, busdriver02 said:

I tried a gutted carbine buffer and I couldn't close down the gas enough to get it to NOT lock back. Truth told I didn't spend much time with it, just tossed the weights back in and it works well. So end result is the RCA light weight carrier and adj key, turned out a half turn I think.

I would try tuning it again....

My first time out to tune it  (brand new build)  ... I couldn't get consistent results.  Was frustrated....on second tune session   Took out screw and set screw re installed and it does what it is supposed to do.  I can't explain it doesn't make sense 

im writing off as break in issues.

Im going to retune whole system next range day.   Now that rifle is a broken in a bit.  

9 hours ago, busdriver02 said:

The improvement of a lighter buffer will be most notable when you get the gas adjusted properly. If it's over gassed the heavier buffer will feel softer because it slows the bolt down.

Edited by reptoid

6 hours ago, busdriver02 said:

I must be screwed up in the head. The set screw impedes the gas flow through they key. So screwing all the way in gives the most restriction and least gas, correct?

You are not be screwed up. I was screwed up. You are correct. I edited my post accordingly

4 minutes ago, jon49erfan said:

I just weighted both. Mine are 

JP 3.0oz

Gutted rifle 1.6oz

I thought I had read on here that a gutted buffer was quite a bit lighter than the JP. Which one runs better?

Edited by optimator

My gutted rifle buffer with an empty .308 case in place of the lead weights weighs exactly the same as the JP lightweight buffer. I use it with a Voodoo LW BC, and an SLR adj. gas block.

Edited by OPENB

6 minutes ago, OPENB said:

My gutted rifle buffer with an empty .308 case in place of the lead weights weighs exactly the same as the JP lightweight buffer. I use it with a Voodoo LW BC, and an SLR adj. gas block.

It the case just loose inside of the buffer?

A JP lightweight rifle buffer is 3 oz.

Here's the process I went thru-

Standard rifle buffer 5.1 oz

Standard rifle buffer with 2 steel weights and delrin spacer 2.9 oz

Gutted rifle buffer 1.7 oz

Taccom rifle buffer .6 oz recprocates I believe

I've ran all 5 setups with my 18" Nordic barrel, fixed gas, JP LMOS bcg,  JP rifle buffer spring. Standard buffer short strokes and will not run.  Between the other 4, I'm not confident that if someone put one of them in my rifle that I would be able to tell which one from shooting feel. No malfunctions from any of the 4 setups. Taccom of course would not recommend using their buffer in my setup. 

FYI... if you remove two the the steel weights from a standard rifle buffer, and replace them with an equal length of 1/2" aluminum round stock, you get a 4.2oz buffer... which is close to the weight of a ST-T2 carbine buffer.. which produced the least amount of scope movement in my 16" mid non adjustable gas carbine

6 minutes ago, optimator said:

How are you guys getting the end of the buffer out? I knocked out the roll pin and tried pliers. But it was so tight that I was afraid of damaging it. Any ideas?

Are you sufficiently angry? Sometimes it takes cursing to get them out.