Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Identifying Powder Funnels

I just received a 38/357 conversion for my 1050 and it has no markings, 40 Cal and it has nothing. I looked at them through a 20x loupe. I am hoping someone (Dillon) can give the hole diameters. Are your funnels for a 1050?

The powder funnels I have came with the die sets. Press agnostic. I can possibly help you with the .40. The diameter of the first straight wall section up from the beveled bottom of the die measures 0.359-0.396". I don't do 357/38.

There's no difference between machines. The funnel fits the powder measure which is interchangeable.  I load on 550s and a 1050, the powder funnel for 38/357 has a D stamped it where Chuck posted

The part that goes into the brass: The inside diameter of the drop is .235" and the outside is .354"

The 1050 in handgun calibers from .380/9mm Caliber and up use a tapered "powder measure activator". This is the same from .380/9mm up through 45 caliber. Unlike powder funnels for the other machines, these are not marked as there is no need to. This only flared the case mouth and activates the powder measure, as on the 1050 machines, the case mouth is expanded by the swage backup die.

On August 28, 2016 at 7:12 PM, D.Hayden said:

There's no difference between machines. The funnel fits the powder measure which is interchangeable.  I load on 550s and a 1050, the powder funnel for 38/357 has a D stamped it where Chuck posted

The part that goes into the brass: The inside diameter of the drop is .235" and the outside is .354"

Definitely different parts for those two machines

23 hours ago, dillon said:

The 1050 in handgun calibers from .380/9mm Caliber and up use a tapered "powder measure activator". This is the same from .380/9mm up through 45 caliber. Unlike powder funnels for the other machines, these are not marked as there is no need to. This only flared the case mouth and activates the powder measure, as on the 1050 machines, the case mouth is expanded by the swage backup die.

That is what I was going to type, but Gary beat me to it. :)

Us lead shooters can load them just fine on a Dillon (S1050), but the bullet gets swaged in the process....if I remove the powder check and install a M-Die problem solved....I would like the option of having the Dillon powder funnel do what the M-Die does...have funnels available ad an option to buy.

1 hour ago, oteroman said:

So ChuckS do you agree with Dillon?

I see you have 6.5K posts is why I ask.

I am not a 1050 user so I didn't realize that the function was elsewhere. Dillon knows what's up!

Later,

Chuck

PS: A high post count may only mean the poster has no life :lol:

On the Super 1050, the swage backup die expands the case mouth, and is stepped like a Lyman M-Step die. I just measured a .45 backup die, for an example.The lower portion, which expands the case mouth, measures .448" diameter. The upper portion, which steps the cases mouth out if you adjust the die down far enough, measures .454" diameter.

1050 swage backup die.jpg

On 8/29/2016 at 5:39 PM, Sarge said:

Definitely different parts for those two machines

Yes not even close, sorry for the mistake.  I was thinking about the powder measures as a whole which I do interchange, never even noticed the funnels were different in the same caliber