Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stage Builder

hopalong

I'm Looking for a good stage design program.

one with most common and typical props already included.

Have used one in the past but have lost that web address.. <_<

thanks before hand.

Sam

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have taken all my stage design to Microsoft Visio. I downloaded a set of stencils from one of the Asian clubs (Thailand I think it was) and then started adding to it.

I also converted everything to 1/8" = 1 foot scale and created a set of "overhead view" stencils for most props to allow building scale overhead drawings of stages. This greatly simplifies stage setup; especially for newbies. Just change your Visio setup to use the same scale for drawings and you are ready to roll.

Here are my stencil collections for those that might wish to try them out. No warranties expressed or implied. ;)

VisioStencils.zip

• 2 months later...
Looks like the domain expired a few weeks ago:

Expiration date: 18 Dec 2006 10:27:59

Maybe it'll be back soon.

I dont' think so, when you see these generic search portals (which are just fronts for someone to make money off of Google AdSense), it means the domain name expired, went to auction and was bought by a vulture who owns 100's of these search portals. If you care about a web domain name, don't ever let it expire, someone will buy it out from underneath you.

• 2 weeks later...
StageCad is the program I use the most. It takes some time to get used to it but I really like it a lot.

Joe W.

Wow, StageCad is a lot of fun once you get used to its quirks.

Have you figured out how to change form the black backgrounds. It would be nice to be able to print out the perspective drawing to take to the range without blowing a whole printer ink cartridge.

StageCad is the program I use the most. It takes some time to get used to it but I really like it a lot.

Joe W.

Wow, StageCad is a lot of fun once you get used to its quirks.

Have you figured out how to change form the black backgrounds. It would be nice to be able to print out the perspective drawing to take to the range without blowing a whole printer ink cartridge.

The only thing I have found that works well is that when I copy to my photo editing program I make the image into a black and white then make it a negative image. It will be in grey scale but sure as heck saves on the ink. I have no idea why it wants to print with a black background, even the creator of the program is stumped. The VERY first stage I made using the program had a white backgroun, black grid and the targets were all in color. After that it went all wonky and will only print black unless I do what I described above.

As for the program itself, it is a blast to play with. One of the great features I love about it is that you can "shoot" the stage by double clicking on the targets as you move through it in the 3D window and see just where the bullets will pass through the targets and show ANY shoot through issues! Because I shoot and set up at an indoor range I have used this a lot and have come up with some pretty wild stages without any shoot through issues from the initial set up at the range. If you want, e-mail me and I will send you copies of some of my stages as well as the layout file for my local range bays just for kicks (and so you can see how the stages look at the local (for me) ranges.

For those that have no idea what this program looks like, here are a few images I created with the program.

200612290Image1.jpg

20061229Image2.jpg

Note: This was set up at an indoor range. We are lucky enough to have the range owners support and in doing so he has allowed us to run a gridwork of wires overhead. This allows us to hang 8X6 tarps as walls and this gives us a LOT of options for stage layouts. In the next few weeks we will be replacing some of the old wires and adding new wires to give us even more options. If all goes well I would love to have a 3 foot by 3 foot grid pattern overhead to match the grid layout of this program. Also the port in the wall is an NRA style barricade with a port cut into it placed between the tarp walls.

Joe W.

Edited by joecichlid

It really is a great program. I e-mailed back and forth with the creater of it last year and he said it took him three years to make this program in his spare time. He also said he is working on an updated version but doesn't know when he will have it ready to use.

One of the features I really like about it is that you can "shoot" the course then look at it from overhead and move the whole thing around to check out your shots from every angle. That has helped me a lot.

Joe W.

There's actually a guy making Lego-scale pistols, rifles, SMGs and RPGs. brickarms.com. 99 cents each! Spoil the grandkids!

The Lego-scale targets were me being bored on a snow day with a CNC machine. All I gotta do is make 'em stick to the Legos and it's game on. :D