Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mccormick Trigger

stingerjg

Ive had a CMC trigger in my AR for the last 9 months or so. Recently ive been having problems shooting some lower power factor ammo (153PF) and when using my 22 conversion kit. I thought it was somthing else that was causing my gun to short stroke and not reset the hammer. I ended up replacing the gas tube, gas rings, carrier key, and bolt cam pin. I still had the short storking problem. I ended up installing a stock trigger assy and the problem went away. I have the CMC trigger in there now and it works well w/ Win white box ammo.

A friend of mine emailed me today w/ the same problem. He had a few doubles and several times the hammer failed to reset.

To me the hammer spring seems to be a little bit stiffer than most match trigger units (JP). Im pretty sure that my problems are because of this.

Anyone else have any problems?

SJG - I have the CMC flat trigger. I've had no problems and I love it, but I only have about 700 rounds through it.

I agree that the hammer spring seems to be a little bit stiffer than most match trigger units, but I'm not sure why that would cause your problems.

Let us know when you get it figured out.

I have the flat, and no porblems, but I'm shooting factory ammo. weakest stuff is wolf 55gr which doesn't even make minor.

I know when I was first loking for them NOBODY had one. I believe it was someone on this board that informed me it was due to correcting a manufacturing problem that resulted in some part of the trigger being softer than it was supposed to be. IF you have one from the first run, maybe that is the problem. No idea rally, but figured I'd share the data point. Maybe give CMC a call.

I have two. Put one in Liota's new AR back in March, and built myself a new lower with one a month later. Both single-stage flat.

Liota's was fine for a while, but then started doing the same thing that mine did out of the box. With very little effort, a great full-auto magazine-emptying static fire...and light primer strikes on milsurp ammo.

Sent the younger-than-30-days-one back to Chip, and I'll probably put the other in something for a non-IPSC type. Back to the gold standard (JP) for me. Sigh.

Alex

I have a straight and a curved. The straight is in an Armalite lower with a JP upper. I shoot Ultramax 55gr. Nos. BT and some Win. white box. No problems to date. Have about 1500 rounds on this trigger. The curved trigger has about 500 rounds on it in a different lower with no problems as of yet.

Nick-

Makes me glad that the forces of the cosmos goaded me into buying a Colt 10 years ago. I was hell-bent on buying a Chippy trigger until I found out they're incompatible with Colt lowers.

Whew! :ph34r:

Yes Sir...I'm having problems with mine. I installed a flat trigger in my M4 and it is firing multiple rounds. I put the trigger weight on it and the trigger breaks at 1 pound, 12 oz. I will send it back to Chip when I return from Iraq.

This is what CMC had to say:

Please return for repair with a note of explaination to:

CMC Corp.

P.O. Box 694

Spicewood, Texas 78669

Thank you

Idk if thats a good answer or not. I'll be left w/o a trigger for awhile i guess.

This is what CMC had to say:
Please return for repair with a note of explaination to:

CMC Corp.

P.O. Box 694

Spicewood, Texas 78669

Thank you

Idk if thats a good answer or not. I'll be left w/o a trigger for awhile i guess.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Why does this thread start two day after I order my CMC flat trigger. :( Damn I hope mine doesn't give me any trouble only a few weeks to the Ironman, can't afford a gun that won't run. ;) Cody

They had a few problems with bad disconnector springs on some of the first triggers they made. We had a few single stage triggers that doubled easily. Since then, no issues.

My GS kept me from the CMC. I had asked for one in my new AR, and he thought they were cool, and put ten in other guns checking them out.

We talked the other night and he hates them and refuses to put one in my gun. Says the JP is good but he can do even more with a "jard".

What the hell is a "JARD"? :huh:

The Jard is a crappy aftermarket trigger kit. I'll bet he can "Do More" with a Jard. They need more ;-) The JP doesn't need much grinding anywhere and none on the sear surfaces. This may be why he likes the Jard, it need's the work!

My recommendation is to have him install a JP kit and if he insists on the Jard, then just put the JP DIY kit in by yourself, it's easy.

--

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

I got my trigger back from McCormick. It works just fine. The rifle ran the entire match this weekend with only one small mishap, a light primer strike. There were no static fires at all. Much better. I still adore the feel of that trigger!

Liota

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

There were some issues with light spring steel in the first few batchs of triggers that went out last year. McCormick discovered that fact and corrected the issue with the spring. That is why there was a dry spell for a while when there were no triggers available. The upgraded springs seem to be working fine. We have sold 100's of these this year and any issues reported to us can be traced back to early sales.

McCormick is replacing any triggers with a new unit if anyone had any problems.

thinking of ordering a mccormick trigger and thought of this thread. Anybody have any recent updates or issues with there trigger?

I'm up to about 1400 rounds through the gun, and my trigger has caused me no problems. I love my CMC 2-stage flat trigger.

thinking of ordering a mccormick trigger and thought of this thread. Anybody have any recent updates or issues with there trigger?

Steve,

I have the flat, single stage trigger in my AR. I have around 1,500 round through it with no problems. Love it.

I bought it from Cactus Tactical.

Edited by chp5

My Open and Tactical gun both have McTriggers, as does Liota's Open gun. Now that the spring problem has been fixed, no problems at all.

Chip is very easy to deal with, if you do (somehow) end up with an old trigger.

The straight trigger is just too neat not to at least try. ;)

Alex