Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drawing my new 2011 and advice?

Norone

I have been a Glock guy forever and getting into major has been fun, kind of. A class but this year got some Ms and even 2 GMs of classifiers. But I ran a friends STI eagle last Sunday and I am hooked. Not sure if I will ever give it back to him (evil laughter erupts...)
My issue isnt accuracy. 100 yard draws to metric steel and 13 yard paster hits and I am digging the new platforms precision. But my draw is all over the place. That consistent mark/placement is eluding me like sumbish. Gun is usually pointed to the right in my draw hand unless I deliberately flex the draw wrist back a bit during draw then that makes for odd placements on the gun but aligned well on target.
Anyone ever have this issue or ideas?

Glock grip angle is completely different then a 2011 by a few degrees. I usually only shoot 1911s and 2011s, but if I shoot a Glock my draw is way off....pointing up in the air due to the different angle. The only thing that will fix it is to dryfire to re-train your muscle memory.

Definitely just need more time on the gun. Even goi g from a 1911 to 2011 took a lot of getti g used to and I still draw the 1911 better. My Glock draw is now the worst of them all and it used to be my best.

• 2 weeks later...
On August 3, 2016 at 8:45 AM, Norone said:

Gun is usually pointed to the right in my draw hand unless I deliberately flex the draw wrist back a bit during draw then that makes for odd placements on the gun but aligned well on target.

I had a similar problem.  I went from a Glock to a 2011 about a year ago.  The gun seemed to be slightly pointed to the left for me.  Seemed as though the larger grip and the thumb safety was there reason.  What was a good grip on the Glock was not good on the new gun.

A lot of slow draws and dry fire squared it away.

• 2 weeks later...

Not a difficult thing to accomplish. I surprised myself with 2 hits out of 5 shots on a 10in flasher @ 100yds last week with my .45 Edge.

And agree that the only fix is repetition. Just gotta make sure you're repeating the correct thing...

Edited by wgj3

Grip angle and thickness will have an effect.

You can try different mainspring housings as they change the angle of the muzzle in relation to the hand.  If you change the ms housing you might then look at long vs short trigger.  Find the right combo and practice.  

Another thing to play with is the holster.  If you have a race holster you can adjust it so your hand naturally hits the right spot.

Always seems best to adjust the gear first, then if needed adjust you to the gun.

7 hours ago, wgj3 said:

Not a difficult thing to accomplish. I surprised myself with 2 hits out of 5 shots on a 10in flasher @ 100yds last week with my .45 Edge.

And agree that the only fix is repetition. Just gotta make sure you're repeating the correct thing...

Where was your point of aim?

I have never attempted a 100 yard shot with a pistol.

Depends entirely on your zero. I cheat with my pistol sight zero. I set my sights for POI to be a few inches high of POA at 15yds or so(let's me see holes over my sights if there's a question). As such, my hold at 100 isn't much different. This would vary greatly based on your zero and load. Lots of folk on here are better than me and may have better advice...in a different thread.