Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

first open match coming up

93notch

So the first match for me in the open division of 3 gun at the local club is coming up this coming weekend. I am a little nervous to say the least. Just trying to get comfy with my pistol and learn the secrets of the dot. Its a FF3 not sure if i like that style or not. But anyway looking for some tips and tricks to help with first match jitters in open. Like easy ways to pick up the dot from the draw and things like that.

Thanks

A-aron

So the first match for me in the open division of 3 gun at the local club is coming up this coming weekend. I am a little nervous to say the least. Just trying to get comfy with my pistol and learn the secrets of the dot. Its a FF3 not sure if i like that style or not. But anyway looking for some tips and tricks to help with first match jitters in open. Like easy ways to pick up the dot from the draw and things like that.

Thanks

A-aron

Just dryfire, lots of draws from the holster to train your muscle memory will get you centered on the dot in no time.

My first Open gun had a Fastfire 2 :D

Once you get the dot lined up the first time a good strong grip will keep it there, turn at the waist and use your legs to pivot so you can maintain your sight picture. That way you never lose the dot and you can really run the gun quickly.

Remember you are there to have fun so no reason to be jittery, just relax and enjoy yourself.

Second to the that Mrpostman ... Dry fire dry fire dry fire including moving to the doors, barricades, transitions left/right/sides, etc... Practice makes you comfy and get rid of the jitters!!!!

Take a huge deep breath before ROs say STanDby!

Good luck !!!

You can do it!!!

Set your routine for prep - go over these steps in your head.

1. turn on the dot

2. adjust the dot to proper brightness visually on a target

3. load the FULL mag

4. rack the slide and visually confirm a cartridge is in the chamber

4. a. replace with a FULL mag - place "barney mag" someplace you can't reach easily

5. put the safety "ON"

6. holster, very deliberately - place gun in holster slowly, confirm it is in and click it in place

Don't let go of the gun quickly - in stages - make sure it doesn't fall out of the holster

7. go over your plan of shooting/reloads in your head, and NOD

1.a. After the last shooter finishes shooting (All Clear) make sure all of your mags are

FULLY loaded, and in the proper holders - no partially empty mags anywhere

that you can reach easily.

8. After the buzzer goes off - make a smooth, deliberate draw with proper grip.

9. Shoot smoothly - no rapid jerks - no turning around (the 180) - don't pick mags

up off the ground - don't drop the gun - keep your finger out of the trigger guard

until you're on target - shoot SAFELY -

You ain't gonna win your first OPEN match - go smooth and safely. Do NOT

go FAST ... Hit a LOT of A's.

Oh, yeah, ENJOY it - this will be your LAST "first match with an OPEN gun" :)

yep dry fire/practice to figure out the dot. i ended up turning mine sideways to get it closer to the barrel/bore and it's a LOT easier to pick up. and by the way, if picking up the dot is a big problem, you are allowed to use an iron-sighted gun in open. open shotty is the big game changer in 3 gun anyways. good luck.

93, as others have said, practice your draw. I'm used to slide mounted optics, and that is what my muscle memory is tuned to. I recently bought an Open gun with a frame mounted C-More. That huge beast sits 2" above the bore, and it took a while to get used to. For the first day or two it was draw and find the dot. After about a week it was draw, see the dot, but not centered. More practice fixed that.

I don't know if this will help you or not. When I concentrate on the process of drawing and acquiring, it doesn't always go well. If I practice drawing assuming everything will be okay and concentrate on the "target", the dot magically appears superimposed on the target. I find the less i think about it, the better i do.

I was at a 3gun match yesterday and was the first shooter on our second to the last stage of the match (I hate being the first shooter) and when I drew my unloaded pistol, I couldn't find the DOT spent few seconds looking around then came to find out DOT was off. One bad stage can ruin the entire match!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk