Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig MPX 16" Carbine for PCC?

Tattoo

Hey all,

Is anyone using a Sig MPX 16" Carbine for PCC? Any issues? Ammo?

Well with the recent " i gotta have a trust" rush on and Form 1's probably pushing a year, I thought about getting a Sig MPX Carbine to use in PCC and wait out the Form 1 with everyone else. Anyone have any experience with the Carbine? I handled one and the handguards are kinda huge but it seemed ok....

Thanks

T

So far I'm the only one running a MPX in my area and its a 8 inch and I do have to tele stock that comes with the Carbine version, but the others that run 16inch barrels are running JP's, they seem to not have any problems navigating through out the stages. But with that said I've been thinking of getting a 16inch upper for my MPX when they become available for when I have to travel out of state that does not allow SBR's. Putting my hands around the hand-guard isn't really that much difference then most of the hand guards I have messed with, you should be fine with that. Some of the Gen2 "pistol" mpx have been reported to be under gassed and some have gone to have the gas port open up. I'm not sure if the Carbine version will need the same thing done.

I am running the 16" MPX carbine, had some initial issues with cycling 125gr @ 1040fps in Gen 1 magazines only, load was ok in Gen 2 magazines. I bumped up the load to 1160 and switched to using Gen 2 mags only, this load works but feels like it may have a slight short stroke resulting in a a small sight dip when the bolt closes. I have since settled on a 1290 fps load because that is the same powder and charge weight I run for limited.

I am currently trying several sight and reticle sizes every match seeing what will work best, so far I have used:

MRO with 2 MOA dot

Romeo 4B 2 MOA dot and 50 MOA ring

Next match it is a TR21 Green triangle 1.25-4X

I am running the 16" MPX carbine, had some initial issues with cycling 125gr @ 1040fps in Gen 1 magazines only, load was ok in Gen 2 magazines. I bumped up the load to 1160 and switched to using Gen 2 mags only, this load works but feels like it may have a slight short stroke resulting in a a small sight dip when the bolt closes. I have since settled on a 1290 fps load because that is the same powder and charge weight I run for limited.

Thanks for the info! I just ordered some Gen2 mags in case I bought a Carbine. Have you had any issues running the courses with the longer barrel? What stock are you using? Have you tried any factory ammo and had any issues? Thanks!

T

Edited by Tattoo

So far I'm the only one running a MPX in my area and its a 8 inch and I do have to tele stock that comes with the Carbine version, but the others that run 16inch barrels are running JP's, they seem to not have any problems navigating through out the stages. But with that said I've been thinking of getting a 16inch upper for my MPX when they become available for when I have to travel out of state that does not allow SBR's. Putting my hands around the hand-guard isn't really that much difference then most of the hand guards I have messed with, you should be fine with that. Some of the Gen2 "pistol" mpx have been reported to be under gassed and some have gone to have the gas port open up. I'm not sure if the Carbine version will need the same thing done.

Thanks! I have a Gen1 pistol and it has worked flawlessly. I am looking at the Carbine for the same reason as you...shooting in other states easily. I thought I read on the ATF site that if you put the 16" upper back on a registered SBR it was legal to cross state lines without approval again. I will have to look into this again.

T

Edited by Tattoo

interestingly this is in direct conflict to what my NFA examiner advised. The sticking point may be the interstate transport. It is worth a call.

May the short barrel on an SBR or SBS be replaced with a long barrel for hunting or other purposes, with the intent of replacing the short barrel?

Yes, and you will not be required to again register the firearm before replacing the short barrel. ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA.

Last Reviewed February 17, 2016
Edited by striped1

I just spoke to the NFA Branch and they advised that you have to check state by state for their individual regs and fill out the 5320.20 interstate transport notification form.

Thanks for asking! Maybe another reason to go with the 16" Carbine and make it simple.

T

Thanks for the info! I just ordered some Gen2 mags in case I bought a Carbine. Have you had any issues running the courses with the longer barrel? What stock are you using? Have you tried any factory ammo and had any issues? Thanks!

T

I don't have any issues with the lounger barrel, but I never was a bury your self in a port type of pistol shooter anyway.

Gun was sent with the wrong stock (retractable), still wating on the side folder from Sig. Currently running the KAK knuckle and a ACS stock.

No factory ammo, I load MG 125gr JHP's.

Thanks guys! I bought an MPX Carbine today! Gunna run some factory Speer Lawman through it on Friday and try an MRO from LaRue! It's actually lighter than I thought it would feel. But I still wish the handguards were a tad bit smaller but I am used to NSR/MI rails. Can't wait to take it out to a PCC match!

T

Thanks guys! I bought an MPX Carbine today! Gunna run some factory Speer Lawman through it on Friday and try an MRO from LaRue! It's actually lighter than I thought it would feel. But I still wish the handguards were a tad bit smaller but I am used to NSR/MI rails. Can't wait to take it out to a PCC match!

T

Congrats! I'm very happy with mine - i went matchy/matchy on optic and got a SIG ROMEO 4C, and so far so good (normally I use Aimpoint or Leupold)

BTW, if you feel you need to spend more, Lancer is supposed to have a carbon fiber front handguard that will replace the factory metal one. No timeline that I can tell, but when I pinged customer support, they said they added me to a list for notification.

I just picked up a very lightly used MPX carbine with a Meprolight on it. This thing is a hoot to shoot falling steel. I replaced the stock trigger group with a Geissele SSA I had laying around. Huge difference. Looking forward to shooting PCC with it.

Edited by GregJ

A couple local guys have been running them in our steel match. My observation is they don't run well dirty, especially suppressed. The 2 I saw go down had around 500 rounds on them since cleaned. The first one had the firing bin channel being clogged. Second was gunk buildup in the trigger. Other than that, they are a blast to shoot.

A couple local guys have been running them in our steel match. My observation is they don't run well dirty, especially suppressed. The 2 I saw go down had around 500 rounds on them since cleaned. The first one had the firing bin channel being clogged. Second was gunk buildup in the trigger. Other than that, they are a blast to shoot.

Well that's good to know. I do not plan on running a can in a match and I will plan on keeping it clean.

T

T

Congrats! I'm very happy with mine - i went matchy/matchy on optic and got a SIG ROMEO 4C, and so far so good (normally I use Aimpoint or Leupold)

BTW, if you feel you need to spend more, Lancer is supposed to have a carbon fiber front handguard that will replace the factory metal one. No timeline that I can tell, but when I pinged customer support, they said they added me to a list for notification.

Thanks! I too have multiple Aimpoints. But I wanted to try something new and Aimpoints prices are nuts. I will look at the Sig.

I also really like the look of the Lancer handguard. Hopefully it's lighter too

T

I just picked up a very lightly used MPX carbine with a Meprolight on it. This thing is a hoot to shoot falling steel. I replaced the stock trigger group with a Geissele SSA I had laying around. Huge difference. Looking forward to shooting PCC with it.

First thing I am doing is changing the trigger. I have an extra set of JP springs to drop in for now. Let us know if you have an issues with the Geissele....

T

I have probably over 2k through mine with a can with no issue and no cleaning. It's a range slut

Good to know! I have 500 rounds through my pistol without cleaning and it's bangin like a champ still...

T

T

My Sig ROMEO 4B went back to SIG for warranty, QD mount shifts forward and backward under recoil, if you tighten it down to stop that the latch pops open under recoil and the sight falls off.

T

My Sig ROMEO 4B went back to SIG for warranty, QD mount shifts forward and backward under recoil, if you tighten it down to stop that the latch pops open under recoil and the sight falls off.

My 4C has been pretty solid a few thousand rounds 9mm / 147 thus far - I've not seen that, but I'll keep an eye out, thanks!

Shot the Sig Carbine today for the first time. REALLY impressed with the accuracy. It shot 5 rounds of 147gr Speer Lawman into around an inch at 50 yards and 4 into one ragged hole. It functioned perfectly, but I only got to shoot 100 rounds. Really soft recoil.

I also ran both Gen1 and Gen 2 mags in it and both worked fine. I just need to get a couple mag pouches and go shoot a match!

T

Sinistral that looks great! I really like the long handguards for the VTac barricade. Just like using my 3 Gun rifle.

Is the KE trigger 2 stage or one? I am still picking a trigger as I have heard or issues with some...

What do you think of the MRO? I have multiple Aimpoints....how does it compare?

T

Edited by Tattoo