Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1000 powder

For what it's worth I spoke to the manufacture and was told that they had to destroy thousands of pounds due to inconsistencies . This happened a couple of times . They have someone that can mix it with consistence and would still be available in the near future . This is what I was told a month ago by them. I have no idea on a time line nor did they say . They did say they have no intention on discontinuing it. Don't shoot the messenger that's all I know

Western is the distributer. The powders are made in various factories, some in different countries.

Canister powder products are the least priority to the powder makers and distributers. We get the left overs of the production runs. Western (Accurate, Norma, Ramshot) takes care of their commercial accounts then the canister market. This is why the factory ammo shortage was much shorter than the canister powder shortage.

The wise handloader would do well to stock up on their favorite powders while they can and be willing to experiment with the alternate powders for times of shortage.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhat similar to what I posted a in June:

I did just that and spoke to Western Powders. Solo 1000 has not been discontinued. It is being manufactured in Spain and recent production has not been sold for retail sale because it has not met their standards (and the parameters of their load guide) so it has only been purchased and used by bulk users (ammunition manufacturers) as they can do their own testing and make adjustments as needed.

Western Powders is working on the issue, have held meetings with the manufacturer and plan to test the next batch to ensure it meets their standards so they can sell it via retail.

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?showtopic=192710&page=44#entry2624614

• 4 months later...

just an observation - Got a notice a couple days ago from Midway that Solo1000 in 8 lb containers was in stock.  Checked that afternoon and they were all gone.  Not sure if that was just a dry run or they actually had it in stock. 

13 hours ago, Bamboo said:

Got a notice a couple days ago from Midway that Solo1000 in 8 lb containers was in stock.  Checked that afternoon and they were all gone.  Not sure if that was just a dry run or they actually had it in stock. 

SUCH a tease.  But it makes me happy to think of it. ;)  

Yeah, I thought the same thing. That email was just mean!  ;)  

Solo1K is very good powder and I have one  unopened 12 oz. bottle left as a memento, but I have moved on to other powders.  Not sure even if it suddenly became available again that I would go back...unless it was dirt cheap.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:35 AM, gmg said:

How does Solo 1K stack up against N320? Seems 320 is the gold standard.

The recoil impulse, and extreme spread in velocity is very similar.  I used 320, went to Solo for cost savings, and was happy enough.  But then Solo went good bye.  So, I'm back to 320.  I think 320 is a bit cleaner, but otherwise, very similar.