Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 set-up for 5.56

Ponce

I am getting ready to start reloading 5.66 on my 650 and am looking for opinions on dies, set-up, and overall process. Right now I load 4 different pistol calibers on the 650. I will be loading for 4 different AR's. I wet tumble and the process I use now is I de-cap with a universal die, then wet tumble and reload in the normal process. I want to do something similar for rifle.

I am debating two possible set-ups:

1. Set-up the rapid trim 1500, then reload. If I use this option is it worth it to get the carbide die vs. the steel die.

2. Use a Giraud or Frankford Arsenal prep center for processing the brass then reload. Is the Giraud worth the price over the Frankford?

I am looking for options for each of these set-ups as well as pluses and minus's of each option as well as specific dies guys are using to load for their AR's on the 650. I don't mind spending a little more for quality equipment for a good set-up.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ponce

I have a Giraud and there is no comparison. The machine is top of the line and its one and done to trip, chamfer and debur the case. I have looked at a 1500 and I am still considering it for my 650. I think that I would get a RT1500 if all I was doing provided a M die worked after the trim die to negate me having to chamfer the cases by hand. All my experiments shot that non-chamfering the inside of the cases damages bullets too much to ignore; less with thick FMJ then a match bullet, but damage there is still bullet base damage.

• 3 weeks later...

I run the Rt1500 seems like the lyman m die is the way to go if you're not wanting to chamfer and deburr each case by hand. I think it's gonna depend on if you're wanting match frade ammunition or plinking ammunition. Match go giraud or other brand that isn't press mounted. plinking go Rt1500.

I run the Rt1500 seems like the lyman m die is the way to go if you're not wanting to chamfer and deburr each case by hand. I think it's gonna depend on if you're wanting match frade ammunition or plinking ammunition. Match go giraud or other brand that isn't press mounted. plinking go Rt1500.

I don't agree. All the ammo I run is match ammo, I get under 1moa in all the AR15s and AR10s I have. I run all 223 and 308 brass thru a press mounted trimmer, (rt1200) use the swage hold down die to expand the case mouth, and close that expansion after bullet seating with a light crimp.

No need to chamfer or de burr by hand. No need for expensive pencil sharpener type trimmers that you have to handle each case that kill your hands after running 100 cases.

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

My experience is that of RiggerJJ. I've been processing and loading 5.56 on my 550b. When I started I tumbled in walnut, decapped on a single stage and SS wet tumbled. I have a head setup with a RT1200 for processing and another for loading. The RT1200 does fine and I see no need to chamfer and deburring.

I have a 650 I use exclusively for loading pistol ammo, but recently bought the small rifle collator plate. My plan now is to wet tumble, sans SS pins and after cases dry, throw into the case feeder for decapping and processing. I have a Super Swager, but so far I haven't run across any crimped brass. I'm fairly new to loading 5.56, so still figuring things out for efficiency. My plan is to continue loading on the 550, but it won't surprise me if transition exclusively to the 650.

I'm a bolt gun dork, I have a Graud Trimmer, and a Gen 2 Prometheus, today loading 223 for a carbine match on my 650 made me see the value of a RT1500, Lyman M die setup up, it's just money I can work more OT and get one

• 2 weeks later...

Another endorsement for the Giraud/650 setup. 

That's what I reload for 3gun on.

Just be careful what you put in the Giraud...anything that doesn't have near zero run-out (ie: every piece of brass you've picked up from the range), will not evenly chamfer.

Save the trouble and go with a press mounted trimmer. I have the Giraud tri way. It'll never get used again. A few hundred rounds makes your hands go numb. Now I have my 650 setup with 1) decap die 2) open 3) trimmer 4) open 5) Dillon size die backed out so just the ball passes through the neck. I then dry tumble to remove the lube and they are ready to load. All shoot a minute or less with bulk 55fmj. If I shot PRS it may be different but at least the 3 gun I shoot most targets are 2moa +. So it works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On August 18, 2016 at 3:03 AM, Hoosiershooter said:

Now I have my 650 setup with 1) decap die 2) open 3) trimmer 4) open 5) Dillon size die backed out so just the ball passes through the neck. I then dry tumble to remove the lube and they are ready to load. All shoot a minute or less with bulk 55fmj. If I shot PRS it may be different but at least the 3 gun I shoot most targets are 2moa +. So it works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have two tool heads set up for my 650

the 1st is dedicated for trimming, set up like the above

The 2nd is for loading, with a rcbs x-die, which after the initial trimming, you never have to trim the case again

the truth is I hate prepping rifle brass with a passion, with this set up it took me a couple of days to go thru a 5 gallon bucket of brass to prep, now when I load rifle it's the same as pistol, lube, load and tumble