Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using steel for training?

B_RAD

A friend got about 15 pieces of 8"x8" steel.

I'm not sure what the hardness is but he rigged up some stands and we shot them a few times from about 20 yds. I couldn't see any damage at all from my 147 plated IDPA load. I'm a little hesitant to shoot them anymore without researching for do's/dont's so to speak.

I'd imagine the first don't would be DON'T shoot at steel targets without knowing what you're doing!

So, to take out any guesswork I'm just thinking about ordering some from Action Targets.

Thoughts? Links to past threads?

Thanks!

All the normal shooting rules apply, with one addition.. Don't shoot steel closer than 15 yards with a pistol and ALWAYS wear eye protection. Fragments from the bullet do come back at you.

Someone else can probably give better advice on angling the face of the target, etc.

Good or bad, I routinely shoot steel at distances from as close as 8 yards to as far as 30 yards.

Steel is nice as there is no taping. Steel is nice in that it is binary, hit or miss. So you're encouraged to shoot for a hit, not "oh just good enough" aka a -1. Steel is nice as you can shoot it in the rain.

Steel is bad as you don't know exactly where you hit, unless you paint it every time. Steel is bad as it's heavy and expensive. Static steel is bad as it gets some people into the habit of using an audible confirmation rather than a visual confirmation from the sights for calling their shot. Steel that is bigger gets you into the habit of accepting a hit anywhere as long as you hear the DING, especially when using it for training speed stuff. For example people who shoot a blazing El Pres time on large steel rectangles (14"x14") but then have a very tough time replicating it on paper.

I prefer to use commercial steel over home made. I've seen decent homemade but my preference is commercial. I've used MGM and Red Stitch Tactical for my personal targets.

Edited by rowdyb

Rowdy,

I agree with all. Especially the audible confirmation possibly creating bad habits and it being harder to know you're "score".

I'm thinking of just getting a 6" circle. If you miss it it's a miss. Maybe that'll help train for all 0's.

Also considering the IDPA reactive that Action Target has. It's reduced size and has swingers for 0's.

Steel is great but stay at 10 yards or further and ALWAYS make everyone in the area wear eye protection.

Always inspect the steel for cratering or any damage every few dozen shots. If it has damage, scrap it.

I agree with Rowdy on nearly all his points.

I mainly shoot 6" and occasional 8" steel. Aim small, miss small.

Over the years I've managed to purchase 3 MGM full size IPSC plates and a few auto poppers. I cut the 0 down zone out of a target (overlay) and spray paint it on the plates. Makes it easy to see hits. The auto poppers are a lot of fun too, I think they're 8" around just like the 0 down zone is. Definately worth the investment for me.

Edited by MJPLEO

a dueling tree is great with 6" ar500 rounds for either single or dual practice with a bud. No taping and little resetting. 10 yds or greater! Those 6" targets get really small as the distance increases!

JD