Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello from Columbia, MO

hildy19

Hello, I've been lurking for awhile now in preparation of my first USPSA match. I found this forum to be extremely helpful in learning the things I needed to know. So I decided to join!

I've been wanting to shoot for a few years now, but the opportunity never presented itself until this weekend. I shot in my first match and loved it! I shot my Glock 17 and they suggested I shoot in Limited minor so I would have less mag changes. It went well I shot 23 of 32, and my only hopes were to be safe and not get DQ'd, so it's a win to me. Now I'm looking for other matches that fit in my schedule so I can get at it again. I've heard the local range, Green Valley, does a informal shoot on Tuesday nights. Can anybody verify this?

Some of my goals are:

Get my fiancé to shoot with me.(It'll make it easier to go to multiple matches when she wants to go to)

Start reloading-I was looking at the equipment and things and I know that Dillon is highly regarded, but as someone only a year out of college the price point is not ideal. I was looking at the Lee turret press? Good or Bad?

Get some new sights on my gun to make target accusation easier.

Shoot more matches

Shoot more practice sessions.

Dryfire and reloading practice.

Thank you all for the info I've found already and I hope to continue to learn more as I go.

Chase

Welcome aboard, Chase. :)

Sounds like you're wandering into the dark woods, with both eyes open.

Be really great if you can get your fiance involved in shooting ...

Best to spend money on sights, triggers and reloading - go get 'em.

Just in case, you might want to stock up on reloading supplies before

November 2nd ....

The Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret is solid. Just make sure you get the Classic Version (it's cast iron vs aluminum) and not the standard. It's a significant price jump, but a world of difference in construction and durability.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome Chase. I know this thread is a little older, but just a few things.

1. If you haven't yet, check out Grafs and Sons in Mexico, Mo. It is an awesome store with very helpful people.

2. I know it is a long drive, about an hour and 15 minutes, but Benchrest Rifle Club shoots USPSA the 2nd Saturday of the month. 8/13 is their next match. They do signup on PractiScore the week before. Message me if you have any questions or anything for me. I am just starting in the sport as well.

Welcome Chase. I know this thread is a little older, but just a few things.

1. If you haven't yet, check out Grafs and Sons in Mexico, Mo. It is an awesome store with very helpful people.

2. I know it is a long drive, about an hour and 15 minutes, but Benchrest Rifle Club shoots USPSA the 2nd Saturday of the month. 8/13 is their next match. They do signup on PractiScore the week before. Message me if you have any questions or anything for me. I am just starting in the sport as well.

Hey driving isn't a big deal if I have a free weekend. Which isn't often. But on that Saturday a place in Jeff City has a match then. And that's only a 30 minutes drive so I'll prolly keep going there until I need a change. It'll only be my 2nd time on 8/13.

I'll have to hit you up if I ever head that way

Central Ozarks Practical Shooters (COPS) range is near Rolla. They have uspsa matches on first Sunday of month and 8 stage steel challenge matches 3rd Saturday of the month year round. All beginning at 9am probably an hour drive for you.

Chase I too am from Columbia. Green Valley Shoots the first Tuesday of the Month is Practice Match and the regular match is the 4th Saturday. We shoot somewhere every weekend. 1st Sunday is COPS in Rolla (2 hrs. worth the drive though), 2nd Saturday you have your choice of Jeff City or Wright City STL Benchrest., 3rd Saturday is Higginsville and 4th is Green Valley. If you have any questions shoot me a pm I can try to get you up to speed on them.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in Boonville and drive through Columbia on my way to work everyday. I'm going to have to check out Green Valley. I know there are informal shoots in Jefferson City on Thursday nights: at the Sportsman's Club during the summer and Ammo Alley in the winter.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 2:50 PM, CalmlyDeMented said:

I am in Boonville and drive through Columbia on my way to work everyday. I'm going to have to check out Green Valley. I know there are informal shoots in Jefferson City on Thursday nights: at the Sportsman's Club during the summer and Ammo Alley in the winter.

There are also small USPSA like matches at Target Masters in Columbia once a month during the winter