Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

removing the weights out of a buffer ?

BOOM

I'm using a carbine buffer tube, and realized that the JP-rifle LMOS and a carbine buffer are both 3oz.. I'm using wolf reduced power spring with a adj. gas block.. Thinking of remove some, or all of the weights in the carbine buffer, (but thought to ask first.) Would there be any negative effects? the only one that I see is it may bottom out.being to light. Anyone input

LOL;) Tony" I have read some of your post here, and know you've done this, Any info you'd like to share on how far to go or more importantly what NOT to do.. my concerns are creating another frustrating problem, or damage

The weights, or some other mass like an empty case of a size that nearly fills the hollow in the buffer, serve to help prevent bolt-bounce also. I'm not saying that you absolutely have to, but there is a reason for the weights/mass moving inside the buffer...

If you keep the gun clean lubed and well adjusted it works just fine without weights (i believe the original design used a plastic or nylon rod as a spring guide. ) However... if it bothers you; you can always take one or more of the weights out and do as Will suggests... I take an aluminum rod (you can buy at home depot or lowes) cut pieces about the same size as the weights and put them back.

IMHO Yes But you have to tune gas block so it functions with given ammo. Tac com 2 part buffer weighs approx 1.2 ounces and approx only 1/2 of that is moving/ reciprocating movement. Caution I'm new with system but I have stayed at holiday inn

Isint the whole concept here is to cut down on reciprocating/ moving mass to minimize muzzle flip and/0r perceived recoil.

I'm also of the school of thought the more tight or precision you make something (rifle). The more failure prone it becomes. In this case I used to run my rifle on the dryish side, dirtyish side. With the less forward mass chamerbering round ( currently light weight buffer) I have had some failure to return to battery/FTRB. I'm now running it wet (IMHO) and clean (ER) and have no FTRB in last 100 or so rounds. Mind you every round was case gauged.

For the sake of toys ( I like toys) I'm interested in getting a light weight BCG. To further see Imprvovement muzzle flip/ perceived recoil. It's already easy to see the holes get punched in paper.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say while this whole low reciprocating mass thing does help. I'd say 95% ish responsibility of controlling muzzle flip/ perceived recoil is a good muzzle brake, good shooting position/training and, barrel weight. I'm also in the opinion that prolly only the those in the top 10 percentile or less, Will actually benefit score wise. By decreasing buffer and BCG mass. ( remember I'm no pro, but I have stayed at holiday inn)

Edited by biglou13

If you tune the gas block by closing it to the point that the bolt won't lock back on an empty mag, then open it up to where it just has enough to lock open, then open it up a hair more for reliability. You should be good.

I just started using tac com buffers, with syrac adj gas block.

I haven't weighed mine but that you tube video states 1.2 ounce. (See above posts) Of the 2 pieces one has a added foam bumper. Weight difference should be negligible. The moving piece should be slightly lighter.

So as far as light weight buffer systems. I think it is the lightest available, and the least expensive. Approx $25

Maybe there is a better spot for this, but what is the advantage of an unweighted system vs one with weights? or vise versa?

reciprocating weight....

the theory is ...short version: as the bolt and buffer move backwards and forwards .... this moving weight will have effect on "perceived recoil" and also forward movement of rife no so much the movement but the deceleration or stopping......

decrease this weight decrease movement

see newtons first law and second law

the amount of force is decreased by decreasing weight and speed, force = mass x acceleration (newtons second law)

so by limiting the weight of moving parts and speed of moving parts... less energy is transferred in decelerating moving bolt /buffer mass, which equals less rifle movement... less mass less acceleration less force

in our case most of the acceleration adjustment is via the adjustable gas block or gas key.

Edited by biglou13