Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Par Time for Reloads?

Alaskan454

I timed a few different techniques with speedloaders this morning and was getting 3.6-4.1 seconds from shot to shot. I've never actually timed my moonclip reloads so I wondered what you guys consider a decent time?

If you are getting the low threes, 3.1 to 3.3, It's ok depending on how the hits are. The low three will not spell a disaster as you can make it up with a good plan and smooth movement, not covering the same ground Twice. I learned on the speedloaders and can keep up with my moonclipped speed. One left out of the cylinder and other disaster factors are more to blame for bad times. I am not good with posting videos but will see if I can get it to facebook and link it, Wish me luck

My clip fed reloads are pretty speedy but that took a lot of practice to nail down. I'm brand new to the speedloader method so I'm hoping to work on that skill over the next few months and track my progress. Ordering some Comp III loaders should help too, they seem much faster than what I'm using now which is a mix of HKS and Comp IIs.

My clip fed reloads are pretty speedy but that took a lot of practice to nail down. I'm brand new to the speedloader method so I'm hoping to work on that skill over the next few months and track my progress. Ordering some Comp III loaders should help too, they seem much faster than what I'm using now which is a mix of HKS and Comp IIs.

As everything else is practice consistancy, and you will be fast as needed.

... Ordering some Comp III loaders should help too, they seem much faster than what I'm using now which is a mix of HKS and Comp IIs.

I've used Comp III and HKS and the Comp III is way more positive and reliable with the spring loaded function. Is Comp II similar but you just hold it differently?

The IIs don't have a handle, so they are kind of awkward to get a hold of some times. I have some IIIs on their way, looking forward to trying them out.

https://www.safariland.com/products/holsters-and-gear/gun-accessories/speed-loaders-and-trays/revolver/speedloader---comp-ii-11231.html

Edited by Alaskan454

With a bit of practice I'm getting more consistent shot to shot times which are about 1 second slower than the moonclips right now. The Comp IIIs should come in the mail today, I'm very excited to try them out. Next time I hit the range I think I'll do some Bill Drills to see if my splits make up the difference in PF between the two guns.

Once you get the Comp IIIs have Bubba list the link to modifying them. It will really speed up your reloads and make them more consistent. Although in the video I see that Josh Lents looks like he is using stock Comp IIIs

I got them in on Friday and WOW are they an improvement from the I and II varieties. I was practicing reloads and it's considerably easier, not mention more consistent as well. I was thinking about bubberizing them but I'll use the stock version for a while to see how I like it.

Once you get the Comp IIIs have Bubba list the link to modifying them. It will really speed up your reloads and make them more consistent. Although in the video I see that Josh Lents looks like he is using stock Comp IIIs

Nah. Those were bubberized, but not radically. In my experience, consistency definitely improves without any real cost with more conservative facing. IMO if one needs a loading block to load them, too much material was removed. My entire release trigger sits just long of the face of my loaders when empty, and I'm happy with that. Mine are just a touch longer than what is shown on the 4wheelguns.com site linked below.

Here's a link on how to do it. It's pretty easy. I did mine with a belt sander then finer grit paper on a palm sander then cleaned up the holes with an exacto knife. Not exactly professional looking work, but functional and good enough for not getting paid to do it.

http://4wheelguns.com/RPerdue/?page_id=34