Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 case feeder tube jamming in 9mm

Loading 9mm range brass that I have cleaned with corn cob media. I am getting about 1 or 2 jams per hundred where a 9mm case gets stuck in the green case feed adapter. A case with a single piece of cleaning media between the case and adapter gets lodged and I have to pull the tube and case feed adapter to push the stuck case out. I called Dillon and they sent me a new green case feed adapter and green bushing. Eyeballing it the new part seemed to have a larger ID so I figured that was the issue. Well the new one is having the same problem. I have been thinking about just drilling the green case feed adapter out a bit so a piece of cleaning media doesn't stop the whole operation. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks

Andrew

I have experienced this problem but very infrequently so I just clear it out and keep going. I thought about adding groves or just drilling it out to make sure room but never have. Sounds like Dillon has come up with a solution.

This is why I do so much compressor work on my brass. I clean it and run it through a media separator. Then I poor it in a colander and used compressed air and keep shaking until I see no more media flying around. Then once in the reloading room I poor brass in a box and use compressed air again. Then I spray lube on and shake shake shake and still media will be stuck to the box. SO I blast it again. After all of that the media is pretty much eliminated.

The worst I have experienced was brass picked up from a police range that must have had cinder based bays. Lots of black course sand looking material that was hard to move even with compressed air. It bound up in the green adaptor multiple times in 100. I took all of that brass and washed it and tumbled it for hours before finally get it clean enough

firstly you should be separating your brass and media properly. you don't want bits of media making it to the collator let along down the tube or even worse staying in a case which may give squibs.

secondly if it remains a problem no matter how much you separate media then try the 38 special case feed parts (red colour bits). they work fine with 9 and 38 super too and are a little larger leaving a little more room for error. there's no reason the green bottom funnel piece or the bush need to be sized super tight to the cases you're feeding.

but the real solution is stop letting tumbling media into your case collator.....

Go to the pet store. Pick up a bag of crushed walnut lizard bedding.

Never use corncob again

Walnut is much, much smaller in size and prevents this. Also never gets stuck in primer flash holes if you decide to tumble deprimed brass some day.

I prefer walnut for those reasons and also because it cuts quicker - cleans your brass more rapidly. It won't get brass quite as shiny as corn cob, but it's still nearly clean enough to pass for brand new ammo if you run it for a long time with polishing compound added.

Oh, and tape a couple of spent12gauge hulls under the ports in the bottom of your casefeeder so that you won't get walnut/corncob dust all over your bench anymore!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Sounds like the problem is in your separation process. Might try a different method.

You could use a larger bushing (maybe one for 40) but that might lead to other problems. Might be easier just to fix your process to eliminate debri getting to the press to begin with.