Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 primer priming?

Does anyone have a trick so that the first case gets to the priming station at the same time add the first primer when starting a new run of ammo? I hate dealing with primers on the ski jump. Someone may have a easy trick.

Remove the primer activation block on the frame of the 650... One allen screw

Load the primers

Index the primer system by hand 8 times and you will have a primer at the first station.

Put brass in case feeder and load feeder tube.

Cycle the press two times so primed case in station #2

re-attach primer system activator to press frame and start loading.

I size and deprime the first case and index it to #2 and remove the case.

Pull the handle back until it is vertical, this will raise the ram enough so the primer system won't interfere with the rotary disk but won't index the shell plate when you lower the ram, hold the handle in that position and with your other hand pull back on the primer indexing arm and release repeat until a primer shows up at #2.

Put the sized/deprimed case back in #2 and seat the primer, your ready to go.

Takes less time to preform than it took to type the first sentence...

I load up primers, powder, cases etc.

cycle the handle once (case is inserted to station 1). cycle handle again (now a second case is at station one and first case has been sized/deprimed and is at station 2). I now remove case from station 2 with my finger (easy to do), ensuere shell plate is at the neutral/rest position (if you have the handle forward the priming punch will stop the disc rotating). now I just pull the little primer disc advancing arm 6 times (or however many times is needed) till I see a primer appear. at that point re-insert the case you pulled, push forward to prime it and now rock on.

There is no easier way I can think of. no need to remove/un-bolt anything, or move the plate up and down etc. you can easily cycle the primer disc when the shell plate is at rest.

There is no easier way I can think of. no need to remove/un-bolt anything, or move the plate up and down etc. you can easily cycle the primer disc when the shell plate is at rest.

Mine are pretty old so the springs that push the primer anvil back down might be weak but at rest the anvil moves up I to the disk just enough you can't turn it without pulling the handle back towards you a bit.

With a totally empty machine load up primers. Raise the ram until the primer disk is indexed and then lower it just enough so the primer index arm is ratcheted to the next hole. Do this six times. Lower ram. Turn on case feeder. Start loading.

The procedure I posted above is not the one I use, it was a specific answer directed at the original question.

Because the OP was talking about primers on the ramp that told me that whatever his start procedure was it was taking more than 8 pulls of the handle so he would best be served by taking off the priming system activator, doing whatever he is doing and then putting it back on when he was ready to load. The post also indicated that the OP is not too familiar with the press yet so I was trying to keep it simple.

I have been loading on my 650 for 21+ years so I think I am getting familiar with it and its operation. :D

With a totally empty machine load up primers. Raise the ram until the primer disk is indexed and then lower it just enough so the primer index arm is ratcheted to the next hole. Do this six times. Lower ram. Turn on case feeder. Start loading.

This is what works for me.

Mine are pretty old so the springs that push the primer anvil back down might be weak but at rest the anvil moves up I to the disk just enough you can't turn it without pulling the handle back towards you a bit.

ahh that makes sense. mine is only a baby, maybe 25,000 rounds on it. at rest it sits with the primer punch just below the primer disk. not much but enough it's not touching. :)

Some of you people make this way too complicated.

Fill the press with all of your components. Flip casefeeder on and let it fill. Add primers. Top off powder.

Cycle the handle twice, fully. This will result in a sized case in station two, below the powder measure on most of our presses.

Pop that case out so you can see the priming wheel and station under station 2.

Move the shellplate up about 1/2" by pulling the handle down a bit so that the priming wheel can spin freely.

Manually pull on the arm that ratchets the primer wheel, until you see a primer roll into place. Unless you have done something strange, this will be six pulls with your fingertip, accompanied by ratcheting 'clicks'.

Release pressure on the roller handle and reinsert the case in station 2.

Push up on the handle to prime that case.

Proceed as normal, loading ammo until you're finished.

If you really know what you're doing, you will never ever have a primer make a trip down the ski jump. A small box of sized but not primed cases, and another of brass fresh out of the tumbler, are key to this: a .380 case just ran through your sizing die and you caught it because it resized effortlessly? Pitch it and replace it at station 2 with resized 9mm brass, then press a primer into it. Etc etc.

Edited by MemphisMechanic