Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I Carry A Mag In My Pocket?

Attila

I have a new to me open Caspian pistol that I wanted to shoot today but I only got one mag pouch that I ordered. Can I stick a spare mag in my pocket? I know it would be slow but the alternative is not shooting unless somebody at the match has something usable I can borrow.

If we're talking USPSA IPSC matches, unless the course description specifically states that a spare mag has to come off of the belt, then there is no problem with carrying spare mags in your pocket(s). Lots of people do it.

USPSA Green Book

5.2.4  Spare ammunition, magazines and speed loading devices should be carried in retention devices specifically designed for that purpose, to reduce the risk of loss during a course of fire.

The key word is should. If it had been "shall", the the pocket would be a no go.

I shot today, one mag in gun, one in pouch and one in pocket. On the first stage, I had the big stick in the pouch and as I ran forward, it came out. Good thing for the backup in the pocket. The weird thing is, every stage afterward, I naturally went for the pocket mag instead of the one on the belt. I need to practice to make reloads more natural.

Actually, there was a pretty well know shooter, I apologize for not remembering the name, who put a magnet in his (shirt) pocket and the magazine was on the outside of the shirt. It facilitated a faster reload for that particular stage.

Actually, there was a pretty well know shooter, I apologize for not remembering the name, who put a magnet in his (shirt) pocket and the magazine was on the outside of the shirt.  It facilitated a faster reload for that particular stage.

Was it Jerry Barnhardt?

Yes. Though I think it was actually his pants pocket.

He even mentions it in his series of shooting DVDs (or, at least he did in the VHS series I bought a few years back).

Kevin C.

• 4 weeks later...
what a hokey load of bull.  You can't grab the spare mag any faster than you can dump the empty mag, so why bother with such baloney?

It happened.. it was because the stage mandated no mag pouches for some reason.. hence the gamer way to carry mags instead of fishing in jeans pockets.