Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 ambi safety

nickbfishn

I had a new Wilson ambi safety put on my 1911. Where a thumb safety should have a positive lock upward into safe position, and a positive snap downward to disengage, mine seems to be able to go up halfway into a position between both extremes. With little force it will go upward towards safe just enough to keep the slide from racking back, but not far enough to prevent the hammer from dropping. Anyone have thoughts as to why this may be happening and what I could do to fix it? It's a series 80 1911 converted with a shim to series 70.

First thing to check is whether detent in the safety and the plunger tube pin are lining up properly. If they are, is the detent in the safety deep enough? If yes, remove the safety and replace the pins and spring in the plunger tube.

I recently bought a used 2011 and had the same problem you are having. I replaced the plunger tube spring and pins and everything now works perfectly. The safety engages and disengages with an audible click and stays put in either position.

It's pretty easy to fit a safety yourself, and I think that is going to be the best option for you. I like this video:

Is this the same guy who did your trigger job? If so, it sure sounds like he is learning on the fly, not something I'd be cool with.

Edited by SCTaylor

Yes it is. However, I talked to him about the trigger and he actually has a plan with the trigger and he left a little creep in it for a reason (my dad told him too LOL) he said he didn't want to start lightening it until I put a few hundred rounds in it and then he would take it down and refinish it to exact weight and creep that I desire.

Fortunately, I actually don't like the ambi I chose because it is just to narrow on the strong side and the weak hand side is tactical and almost non existent. So, I want to change it out anyway and go back stock, or buy and extra wide strong side.

Safety has not been fitted properly. Sounds like they fit it for half cock but didn't complete the job. If the safety is on the tight side of fitting, the safety will not snap into place as it should. You will have to physically push it into position.

nick, if you are going to replace the ambi safety, I highly recommend the EGW unit. The design is superb and both paddles are extra wide. You can trim them down if desired.

If you plan on fitting the safety yourself, consider the LSI (Lone Star Innovations) safety that uses a small set screw instead of filing. Easy to install and close to fool proof.

Be sure to mention you want the safety with the setscrew. Glenn also offers a wide selection of paddle widths.

Do you use one?

Yes I do. I've filed and fitted more than a dozen thumb safeties over the last 30+ years and the LSI safety was by far the easiest and quickest one to install. Glenn includes an instruction sheet for installation.

The setscrew will be held in place with a small drop of Loctite. Once fitted, I've not had a single problem.

And if you ever decide you want to switch it to a different gun, heat up the Loctite, back out the setscrew and you are good to go. With a filed to fit thumb safety, you would probably need to get it welded up or move a little metal with a punch to make it fit a different gun.

http://www.lonestarinnovations.com/

Sound like a winner. However, maybe his webpage can't be views from my iPhone to well, but when I click on "online store" the page is blank. I'd like to see it to see how wide the pads are before ordering it blind.

If you do call him, give him crap ab.out the online store.

I did a review of the "automatic" version of the same safety (used for 3 gun) with pictures of the wide paddles on each side. You can order wide, narrow, or a combination of the two.

Here's the thread with the photos.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225120

Speak of the devil...he just emailed me. I didn't realize I had emailed him earlier today because a friend of mine said he thought Glenn made shielded safeties, so I emailed and asked. I went ahead and write him back and said I couldn't view his webpage and asked where I could see pictures.

Also, said he doesn't currently make shielded safeties, but they are coming this year :-)