Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Changing OAL more powder?

TCB

I did some searches but didn't find anything that helps...

I've been loading 4.3Gr of N320 with a Xtreme 180Gr HP at 1.12 OAL on my 650 for my duty gun (P2000) and a VP40 I've been useing for Ltd. I'm picking up a proper Ltd gun (Cameron's 5") this weekend and understand that they like a longer OAL. (The current owner says it runs well at 1.2-1.8).

My question is if I only adjust the OAL do I need to add more powder to continue to make the same PF (major) / does increasing the OAL of a given load change the PF? I don't have ready access to a chrono to check...

I'm new to reloading...be gentle. Thanks!

Yes, you will need to bump up the charge....It's all about pressure and volume...if 4.3 grains makes a certain pressure in a certain volume, make the OAL longer with the same 4.3 grains, you've added more volume to the mix, which will lower the pressure sending the bullet downrange.

Thanks! Looks like I'm gonna have to do some "sperimentin'". Anyone have a good recipe for me? 180Gr Xtreme HP's over N320?

Would it make since to buy another set of dies so I could keep my current training load and have another set up for the Ltd gun? I've got an extra tool head & powder hopper...

If you are gonna have 2 separate loads for two separate guns, then yes, buy another set of dies, or load a ton of one, then change the recipe for the 2nd gun and load a ton for it. But, IMO, if you are gonna stick with the Cameron's as your limited gun, you should train with it, not your other guns...

I agree totally...its just they won't let me carry it at work. The VP40 is going away but I should probably shoot my issued pistola once and a while...stupid P2000...stupid Agency equipment procurement division.

Before you buy another set of dies etc, buy a $120 chronograph! That's all I got to say about that....

You will find that if all components are the same...the difference between 1.20" loads and say 1.12" OAL will require + several tenths additional powder to maintain PF. The final charge will only be determined by testing the loads in your gun over a chrono.

If your trying to load for power factor your almost have to have a chrono or easy access to one. You don't want to go to a match and find out your shooting minor because you didn't check your loads. At the end of the day its really not that much of an investment compared to all the other stuff we buy for this sport.

Sounds like I might want to invest in a chrono...thanks for all the input! I knew adding another pistol to the brace wasn't going to be as simple as just buying a new holster...