Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate 9mm Major short OAL

Fred63

New to forum, long time lurker.

Down in Australia, at least locally, 9 major seems to be where you guys were 6-7 years ago- Shock Horror! You can't do that it's not in the book. Let me say you should all be proud of the resource you have created and made available to people all over the world.

My question has to do with the notoriously short throat in CZs.

I haven't gone far yet but started with ADI AP100 (not a lot of choices here) and with 5.8gr velocity at 1180 is above published for max of 6.2grn, primers starting to flatten slightly.

I now have couple pounds WAC and would prefer to stay with this.

In my Czechmate using coated 125 LCN my OAL is 1.110 and as this is on the short side I would like some advice on a safe but realistic starting load. I will be chronographing every step but still concerned about pressure loading short.

post-64103-0-87067800-1466161131_thumb.j

Here's some Australian Data. Not sure of length but he didn't mention throating his gun.

9mm 125gn CN coated lead, AP100, Rem SRP's, shot out of a Czechmate

7.3gn - Avg 1291 FPS, 161PF
7.4gn - Avg 1314 FPS, 164PF
7.5gn - Avg 1322 FPS, 165PF

9mm 125gn CN coated lead, 3N38, Rem SRP's, shot out of a Czechmate

7.3gn - Avg 1191 FPS, 148PF
7.5gn - Avg 1227 FPS, 153PF
7.6gn - Avg 1235 FPS, 154PF
7.7gn - Avg 1245 FPS, 155PF

I run a a 125gr Coated LRN at 6.9gr of auto comp to make major power factor with an OAL of 1.15 after reaming the barrel throat lightly. If you can, throating is your best option (finish reamer) and very simple to do yourself. As a second option I ran 115gr Jacketed at 7.6 to make major. No room for bullet set back with a load as short as you want to run though with 125gr.....

Edited by NoSteel

Thanks for your input.

Cost of throat ream here is about $250.00 and as I would want to keep my SO-01 orange at same OAL $500.00 and a lot of hassle here(very few smiths,paperwork to have your gun,or even part of it in another's possession etc) if I go that route I will probably order a reamer from States and pay $80 to have it posted.

I will try with what I have on hand and see how far I get.

Just wanted a bit of reassurance to start in a safe place. It's better not to make a mistake than to try to undo one.

Bullet profile is the big contributor here. Seat a bullet loosely in an uncharged piece of brass and push into the chamber by had. Pull it out and measure it.. Load to just under that, or ream the barrel.. Where are you located? May be cheaper for me to mail you my reamer for you use and you could ship back when done.

Thanks for the offer NoSteel but I'm in Australia and with the cost of reasonably speedy mail it will be cheaper to buy from the States and only ship one way, you see down here anything related to guns, particularly handguns is quite rare and difficult. Think of Lamborghini service centres and you will have about the right idea- they do exist but probably not in your town.

Tino2212 I have read all posts extensively and have correctly gauged OAL, length for 135 LRN is1.130 which again is shorter than published data but as I only use these in mid power for production load light and no issues. I can't find any sample packs of projectiles it's 1000 or nothing.

I may possibly have access to Berrys 124 plated , when occasionally in stock,at half as expensive again was hoping to keep cost down to allow more shooting.

With that in mind if anyone can advise which Berrys profile loads shortest would be appreciated.

IPSC so 160pf 120grn min weight, I use 135 for production at 135pf.

I assume a lot of people use coated projectiles at speed for major from reading the forum and have no issues with leading.

Just loaded some 5.4, 5.6, 5.8, 6.0, 6.2 and will try tomorrow weather permitting.

Concerned if I do reach major at 6grn what sort of pressures would I have? If it was that easy everyone would be loading short with less powder.