Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Building An Open Revolver Gun.

dpeters

Hi Guys (and gals),

I'm thinking about having an open revolver gun built specificaly built for the PSA shootout next year. I know absolutley nothing about revolvers so I need a little guidence. Please show me the way.

What gun to buy?

What cartridge reloads fastest?

Who is the best revolversmith?

C-more or tube style scope?

Thanks, Doug

Doug,

I am unsure as to restrictions if any for PSA.

I have run several different open revolvers for the last couple of years.

The first a 586 with a Tube sight, comp speedloaders and out on a plastic hogue holster.

The tube sight was good for keeping control of the dot, but I found a lil slow to acquire.

I then upgraded to the 627 v-comp with a gilmore tube moonclipped and out of a CR style holster. Gilmore was probably the best tube sight I have used yet.

I then went to the 627 .38 super, with a C-more and out of a Limcat. The c-more is fastest to shoot with for me personally ..... until you lose it .... then it can be a pain, but I very rarely lose it.

I find this combo the quickest to draw, sight acquire and reload.

My 2 cents.

Thanks 8shooter, that's the kind of info that I'm looking for. What kind of gunsmithing are you having done to your 627 and who is doing the gunsmithing? Are you using a comp? I was hoping that people were using C-mores on their revolvers because that is what I am used to and using on my open auto gun.

Thanks 8shooter, that's the kind of info that I'm looking for. What kind of gunsmithing are you having done to your 627 and who is doing the gunsmithing? Are you using a comp? I was hoping that people were using C-mores on their revolvers because that is what I am used to and using on my open auto gun.

On the V-comp I made my own bolt on 3 port comp, the .38 super I am only running the factory comp at this stage haven't had it long enough to make one up.

Gunsmithing: I have a good friend that does my Smithing as they are few and far between in Australia.

I chamfer the charge holes in the cylinder.

Tune the trigger to suit myself. On the super I tune the lock in on the ball detent as well. Thats about it really.

In the US I have heard raving reviews of Randy Lees revolver work, Vic Pickett and such have used him. He is a regular on the forum and (prompt him to jump in here) may be able to give you a more detailed description on what is available to you. :)

Hello All,

Thanks 8shooter! For an open revo I'd suggest a 627PC in 38super. It loads slightly faster than th 38spl. The shorter cases also eject sooner.

Last year, Jerry Miculek and I had a lengthy discussion about Scopes. He has switched over to the OKO sight because it has no parallax distortion and he found the adjustments for windage and elevation more precise. He and Kay were tired of chasing the adjustments- they found that by adjusting one direction on the C-more, it changed the point of impact on the other.

BBD Precision/Versalab makes an ultra low scope mount for the OKO ans well as a barrel/comp setup which works well. The barrel/comp is very light and is great for steel matches. I'm doing T&E on a unit now.

My preference is to hybrid or inline port the barrel. I have made comps on several custom revos and the problem is that the carbon buildup accumulates rapidly and must be removed regularly. The in line porting of the barrel is self cleaning and takes greater advantage of the expanding gases behind the bullet(most gas is venting out the barrel/cylinder gap).

C-mores will work fine and if you are used to them.

Randy

BTW, Jason Pettitt and John Bagakis will be sporting the Apex logo this year at the IRC and Steel Challenge!!!

For the PSA Shootout you must have an eight shooter. For an open gun I would try to get your hands on one of the .38 Super eight shooters if you can, but if you plan on using the gun for other things you might want the .38/.357 version of the same gun. Both have removable comps that most guys consider of limited value with the light steel loads we run. In the .38/.357 variant some guys use .38 Short Colt or trimmed back .38 Special brass to get the same effect as the .38 Super, but retaining the versatility of the .357 platform. I used a PC .38/.357 V-comp at this year's PSA in both Open and Stock (removed the comp and dot between matches). My gun has chamfered charge holes and a competition trigger job done by John Blauvelt (www.JCBGunsmith.com). Randy Lee (www.Apextactical.com) has my 625 that I use for USPSA right now, and Mark Hartshorne (www.Pinnacle-guns.com) is not only an excellent gunsmith and competitior, but also a silver sponsor of the PSA Shootout. You won't go wrong with any of them. Good Luck.

Rob Vlastelica

A47511

Apex Tactical has done work for me and I am more than satisfied with it. I heighly recommend Randy Lee. He did my 627 last year and I intend to give him my backup gun while at the South West Regional Championships.

I tried playing with .38 Colt and .38 Smith $ Wesson charges a few years ago and put together quite a volume of load data. There were a few charges with Unique that would work for ICORE minor with no trouble but most other charges were at least 15 % over maximum charge listed in any loading manual.

I don't like Unique because every once in a while a flake will get under the star and bind up the revolver.

If there is no minor power factor there are some very accurate .38 Smith & Wesson loads available. I don't like taking chances so I now shoot .38 specials.

This is just my opion but I don't think a comp will do much for you in a minor gun. They make a big difference in major loads.

And then, once you have it built invest in Hearthco moon clips. You will be restricted to Federal or Remington brass but it's worth it. The clips hold the cartridges steady, there is no wabble, which works in the .45 but not quite as well in the .38 cases.

Good luck.

No problem Randy, just passing on positive feedback I have heard. I considered getting you to work on My Baby but only ever have a day either side of the IRC before we head home for Australia. :(

Doug if your over PA way, Mark does do very good work which I have used first hand, and also Randy Hollowbush at The Handgunner Gunshop in Topton who did the trigger on my V-Comp can do some real magic work as well. :D

Dpeters, I did not know what PSA was so I did not want to post on what i was unsure of. Yea like that ever stopped me before. I can only echo on the comments already here. 38 super is faster than the specials and you do need an eight shot for the greater than 6 hit stages. The Hybrid ports or inline ports seem to work the best. A comp on the end if ,you want one, would be better if it had a large area for the gases to hit. There is one design that seems to work great but the Revo has been retired. post-309-1114904776_thumb.jpg

Dpeters,  I did not know what PSA was so I did not want to post on what i was unsure of.  Yea like that ever stopped me before.  I can only echo on the comments already here.  38 super is faster than the specials and you do need an eight shot for the greater than 6 hit stages.  The Hybrid ports or inline ports seem to work the best.  A comp on the end if ,you want one, would be better if it had a large area for the gases to hit.  There is one design that seems to work great but the Revo has been retired.  post-309-1114904776_thumb.jpg

WWWWWWWWooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink:

Bubber looks like you stole that from the next Men in Black movie set.

Coooollllll. B)

627%2038%20super.JPG

Mark at Pinnicle in Pa. built this one.

HDGun, that is an awsome looking blaster, Does it shoot as good as it looks? What model was your gun built on? (Remember I know nothing about revolvers.) If you don't mind me asking, What is the price tag on your gun?

Thanks, Doug

By the look of the photo, Hd's is the 627 .38 super with a Pinnacle custom barrell. Awesome B) $$$$$ wise ....... who cares it's worth it, right HD. :D

I had to wait for a run of the Supers to get mine. Try Tom @ TK Custom, I pretty certain he has them, if not he might know when the next lot a due.

The super comes with a 5 & 1/2 inch barrell, the V-Comps 5 inch not including comps of course.

8shooter, You hit the nail on the head. It was a stock super super when it began life.

Then I turned it over to Mark at Pinacle, and you see the result.

After the the cost of the gun, the custom work was very reasonable. about $500. But be prepaired to wait,Mark does exelant work but his turn around time needs improvement.

I have a new 627 with a 6" comped SS Shilen barrel, C-More scope, champered cylinder, super trigger job, and bobbed hammer, comes with modified Safariland 002 holster and 5 moon clip holders. (less than 1500 rnds all minor loads) .38 Colt Shorts shoot 1" groups, at 25 yds, this is a fast reload at 1.100" oal but fastest reloads only comes with practice. Must sell to finance my new 3 Gun addiction. Bill thesahlberg7@webtv.net cell 509.979.9575