Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO zero

rowdyb

At what distance are you CO optics shooters zeroing your gun? Are you picking a distance where you'll get poa/poi crossover in more than one place? (similar to what you get with a 200 yard zero on a 5.56 AR) Has the mechanical offset been an issue?

I will be shooting a SP01 with a RMR on a CZC dovetail mount. At CO Nats. I doubt I'll get much time on it beyond zeroing it so curious as to what seems to be the consensus in the division. Thank you.

Using a G34 with a JPoint & their adaptor I sighted in POI just above the dot at 25 yds.

With the dot 10-50yds just kind of rotated around the dot, pretty much point of aim. Up real close it shot a bit low. The groups were better than with Iron Sights.

FWIW for me I usually set my iron sights at 2" high at 25 yds, then when I start shooting fast shots hit where the sights are and when I shoot at 50 yds I shoot a bit high. The Optics showed why also and shooting them for a bit helped my trigger control a lot.

My Glock 34 is milled with a Vector Venom. I do not have much offset between POA/POI, possibly because the sight-bore distance is less than a dovetail mount. I zero at 25 yds, which is virtually the same POI at 50 and strikes 1/2 inch low at 5-7 yds.

I would support the aforementioned recommendation to spend some time on the dot though, especially before a major competition. It identified some habitual errors in trigger control, and follow-through that I needed to fix.

25 yards is kind of the standard. There's really little height over bore issue with a slidemounted dot, though dovetail mounting it is a little higher. So you'll hit slightly low inside your zero and slightly high past it, and with functional USPSA distances you won't have a point where 9mm starts to drop again. It's a lot less dramatic than the frame mounted optic on an open gun.

I'd really suggest doing as much dryfire with it as you can, particularly draws (including strong hand/weak hand) so that you can minimize the amount of dot wiggling you do to find it.

Edited by NickBlasta

I sight dovetail mounted and slide mounted optics (FF3s) at 25 yards for all shooting, except when I have to hit 1" diameter targets at 15 yards. With dovetail mounts I'm about .75" low at 15, and half that for slide mounted.

I recently acquired and Open gun with a vertical C-More mount on it. I was super surprised at the consequences of an almost 2" over bore dot height. I used this calculator http://gundata.org/ballistic-calculator/to work out the best zero range for my Open load.

Hints: in the advanced options, the shortest the Distance to Show value can be is 100 yards. Step value can be 1 yard if you like.

I just played around with zero ranges until I got the POIs I was comfortable with between 10 and 35 yards. You can do the same for yours to see where you get the least POI shift at the various ranges you will shoot at.

I sighted mine in at 25'. Given my relatively poor marksmanship, I really haven't noticed any significant change over distance not have a seen a significant problem with offset.

I then backed up to 60' and didn't notice any significant change in point of impact.

Edited by M1911