Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Power factor challenge

johnbu

After reading recent threads on reloading with confidence, I decided to test my reloads. And a challenge to everyone to test your loads and post them up!

I tested two batches of 124 gr Acme red coated and one batch of 135 gr BBI black coated. All were using federwl primers, mixed brass and 3.6gr of ETR-7 powder.

I randomly pulled 4 rounds from each batch. Fired 3, pulled the bullet from the 4th and weighed it.

B1 - 1040, 1032,1031 avg 1034 bullet 124.2 pf 128

B2 - 1040,1059,1034 avg 1044 bullet 124.9. Pf 129

B3 - 995, 1020, 989 avg 1001 bullet 135.0 pf 135

All averages and weights were truncated to the decimal for multiplication to get the power factor. So 1034 x 124 / 1000 = 128.

Yeah... the 124gr batches are running close to the cliff. But that was what I wanted to see as the powder was just reduced for them to get a sub-sonic load.

I would imagine if you fired additional rounds, those numbers could change dramatically.

To see if I make PF 125.0, I fire 20 rounds over the chrono, and like ALL 20 to hit

at least 125.0 PF (usually averages around PF 132 or so).

I chrono my ammo before every major match (not sure why, I haven't changed my recipe in years, maybe just peace of mind) I get the same results every time. Speed is always within 10fps of 1400, bullet is always a fraction of a grain over 124, so my PF is 173 (or 4). It will vary a small amount depending on temperature or altitude but I've never dropped below 170 at any chrono check.

I chrono my ammo before every major match (not sure why, I haven't changed my recipe in years, maybe just peace of mind) I get the same results every time. S

same here. I like not having to worry about chrono. I have enough going on at a match.

I would imagine if you fired additional rounds, those numbers could change dramatically.

To see if I make PF 125.0, I fire 20 rounds over the chrono, and like ALL 20 to hit

at least 125.0 PF (usually averages around PF 132 or so).

When firing 8 rounds, standard deviation is between 9 and 11 so I don't think it will change dramatically.

What I found dramatic was the variability in Acme 124 coated bullet weights. Measured every bullet while loading and found about 15% were under 124 with about half in the 122 range. Therer were also plenty in the 126 and 127 range. For match rounds, the sub 124 bullets get kicked out to be used just for practice. Sadly, I really like acme but the weight variability and the odd flat point that creeps in is driving me to BBI. Measured about 30 oc them and only 2 were 134.x, most were 135.x a few were 136.x, but none over that. Very uniform. Only drawback is they rub off coloring to fingers while reloading, but I can wash up.

I need to catch up to you guys, I don't have a chrono yet or shoot competition more for auccuracy and follow up shot. But so far as consistent weight I find the plated bullets seem to be the closest in weight consistency. All the coated bullets I have tried vary 2 gn +/- on average.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got chronod at the mid Atlantic sectional yesterday and came in at 169.8 in my .40 limited gun. Right where I want to be and right where my chrono told me I was. I was pleased.

Make sure to leave a little room and check your loads before a major match even if they worked last time. A friend had to use all of his chrono rounds at Single Stack Nationals a few years ago. He claims he has used the same load for years but different barrels make different speeds.

125 gr BBI over 3.6 grains of tightgroup. Loaded to 1.10 oal on a Dillon Square Deal. Fired through a CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical.

My pre Mid-Atlantic sectional chrono average velocity over 20 rounds was 1025 ft/sec, with a standard deviation of 12 ft/sec. Gives a 128 PF with no rounds failing to hit minimum PF. 10 BBI bullets weighed prior and all were 125.X, none failed to make 125 gr.

At the Mid-Atlantic Sectional chrono, average velocity was around 1040 ft/sec, bullet weighed 125.2, power factor of 130.

I was close in my mind, but trusted the math and I was good to go.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk