Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Polishing of 2011 mags How is everyone doing it?

bigboy69

You can tumble them but use fresh media and do one at a time. They can look nice but it doesn't seem to do a ton to smooth things out internally. Outside, I used to work through grits of sandpaper and buffer wheels. Now I use basically a scotchbrite pad for more of a matte finish.

Inside, I will knock the sharp edge off the inside of the feed lips and polish those with a dremel and wheel.

For the length of the tube I use flitz on a shotgun bore mop. Bore mop goes on a section of cleaning rod and gets chucked up into a drill. At the end I will use brake cleaner and pull clean rags through.

I am eventually going to do "one last polish" and get the mags hard chromed.

You can tumble them but use fresh media and do one at a time. They can look nice but it doesn't seem to do a ton to smooth things out internally. Outside, I used to work through grits of sandpaper and buffer wheels. Now I use basically a scotchbrite pad for more of a matte finish.

Inside, I will knock the sharp edge off the inside of the feed lips and polish those with a dremel and wheel.

For the length of the tube I use flitz on a shotgun bore mop. Bore mop goes on a section of cleaning rod and gets chucked up into a drill. At the end I will use brake cleaner and pull clean rags through.

I am eventually going to do "one last polish" and get the mags hard chromed.

I'm going to try the bore trick.

I would not suggest hard chrome, I would suggest Electrolis nickel for magazines. At least that's what I've been told from Mahovsky's Metalife.

I wanted hard chrome and he said you don't want hard chrome you want electrolis nickle for magazines They did my Para mags and they were slick as hell.

I have one of the Dawson mag tuning kits. It came with a long piece of Aluminum for messing with the springs. So I took and wrapped sand paper around it and ran it up in the mag. I think I started with like 600 grit and went up to 1000 or 1200. The wrapped a cloth around it and used mothers polish to finish up. Then cleaned it up with break cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about doing electrolis nickel plating on my P320 magazines. Anyone ever done something like this? I was going to try it myself with the method shown here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/High-Quality-and-safe-Nickel-Plating/?ALLSTEPS

I sent my Para mags to Metalife and had that done. They were slick as hell.

Talk to Metalife they normally have a 2 week turn around time. And i believe if you tell him you need them really quick, he'll work with you.

814-436-7747

I just tell people about him because of agood experience and great work. I receive no kind of kick backs or discounts or anything like that.