Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modding DW Heritage for Single Stack

Smitty79

I have a Dan Wesson Heritage I'd like to use for Single Stack. Long term, my focus is Production, so I'm not trying to make it perfect, just good enough to be fun and not giving away too much.

What's a decent magwell for this gun? What base pads do I need work with this magwell? I have 3 DW mags and 4 Wilson Combat mags.

I was looking at the Dawson IPSC magwell or Dawson ICE.

Good sights, magwell is personal preference. I like the Smith and Alexander type, some prefer Dawson Ice.

Mags, I use Metalform 10 rounds (assuming 9mm here, if .45, use what works for you, Wilson and Tripp Research make good stuff I'm told, though I use Mec Gar and el cheapo Shooting Star mags in my .45). Dawson Precision uses Metalform tubes & guts, with their basepad. If you go with Dawson Ice, use Dawson mags; the basepads make them much easier to seat.

Holster, mag pouches (6), belt, and decent trigger and you should be set. Dan Wesson makes nice guns I'm told so most of the work was done for you.

Edited by robertg5322

if you have to get a magwell anyway, I would get the dawson ice or ipsc magwell. the only issue with the ICE is you will need big basepads, like the dawson's. I use tripp mags and a couple of cmc powermags. the tripps are easier to clean, the powermags are easier to seat when full and are a bit sturdier. depending on your personal preference you may want an extended mag release and/or different sights. that's about it, as long as the gun r uns.

I use a Dawson IPSC and am using 9mm Wilson mags I have put dawson mag bases on as the Wilson bases are either too short to remove if a mag gets stuck or are too long to fit the IPSC box with the sights I have on my gun.

I have also used the magwell on my .45 with CMC mags with the plastic factory bases and they don't require any mods.

All of the "racy" magwells nearly fill the USPSA box. With standard basepads there's not much left sticking out.

This is a picture of my Range Officer with a Dawson Ice magwell and the Dawson base pads. It shows how little base pad protrudes, I wouldn't want anything smaller

7d946f0c22e7c4a1eb48fc2fbc3050c3.jpg

Edited by PatJones