Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

aluminum msh wearing from dryfire

motosapiens

I took the mainspring out to clean things, and I had a heck of time getting the spring/plunger out after removing the pin. Looks like the plunger wore the aluminum and created a little ledge that it was hanging up on. Anyone else experienced this? fwiw, the top of the plunger does not seem to be beveled, and the edge is fairly sharp, so perhaps simply smoothing it and beveling it will help.

I've only had the gun 5 months, so I'm hoping I won't be buying new msh's twice a year. I suppose my other options would be to use the steel msh for dryfire and swap it out before majors, or something like that.

I noticed the same thing with the stock plastic STI m/s housing. I have a steel Dawson coming from Shooters Connection right now. Why not leave the steel one in all the time?

I noticed the same thing with the stock plastic STI m/s housing. I have a steel Dawson coming from Shooters Connection right now. Why not leave the steel one in all the time?

because i want to shoot singlestack instead of open.

I'm not following either... Why does the msh have anything to do with division?

Edit: ...weight in SS. Sorry, I don't think as fast as I type sometimes.

Edited by Mhall

I'm not following either... Why does the msh have anything to do with division?

I'm guessing weight.

How many rounds? I've got about 10,000 thru mine with no visible wear. I do use a light grease in my aluminum mainspring housing instead of oil though.

only 5-6k rounds, but also 30-40 mins of dryfire every day. I also use grease. Your experience is reassuring that it may just be the sharp edge of the plunger causing the problem.

Hello: I always bevel the top and bottom of the plunger in the lathe. A little grease in there and it makes it so much smoother. I also ream out the plastic ones so they slide much better also. Little tricks that make things work better. Thanks, Eric