Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vectan Prima V 9mm Minor

OPENB

Found some talk about this powder in a general Vectan powder thread. Motosapian said it was very similar to Red Dot, which I love for 9mm minor. He hasn't been able to shoot much of it since that thread. Is anyone using it, and what do you think of it? Can't beat the price, and since most Alliant powders are still unavailable, I'm thinking of buying before the election.

• 1 month later...

Best powder I've ever used...

Do you have a thread to elaborate more on your experience with this powder? Do you know if it plays nice in .45?

I'm about to make my yearly powder purchase and I'm seriously considering picking up a few #s of this powder I know little about.

Edited by v1911

Not a lot of data for these powders, but this web site has the most info I've found on pistol load data for the Nobel Sport powders:

http://www.tiropratico.com/

If you poke around this site you will find density and other info.

for .45:

http://www.tiropratico.com/ammunition/pagine/45acp.html

Grafs has this comparison chart for the Nobel Sport powders:

https://www.grafs.com/uploads/technical-resource-pdf-file/24.pdf

I think I'll be stocking up on some Prima SV. I like that it's a granular and not a flake. Should meter nicely. Looks to be a fast burn powder ideal for 9 minor. If anyone has any recipes for SV I'm all ears.

Edited by v1911

I think I'll be stocking up on some Prima SV. I like that it's a granular and not a flake. Should meter nicely. Looks to be a fast burn powder ideal for 9 minor. If anyone has any recipes for SV I'm all ears.

just to be clear, prima sv and prima v are 2 different powders. I believe the one everyone else is talking about is prima v (without the s). I've shot a thousand or so rounds with prima v (3.1 gr under a 147 gr coated bullet at 1.11ish).

I have a couple other vectan powders to try, but the only one I've tested so far is prima v, and I like it alot, for cheapness, availability, recoil feel, cleanliness, metering, price, availability, price, availability and availability.

Yup. I did a bit of research with the links provided and some Google-fu and found that the SV should be a bit hotter than V. Like comparing Tightgroup (V) and Clays (SV).

If I'm mistaken about what I read, please someone chime in.

I've been using gm3 for 9mm and 38 short colt (115 to 160 grain) and some 45 with 200 swc with good results. Clean, soft shooting, meters well, good accuracy...and cheap. Hard not to like it.

Vectan Prima V, per Graf and Sons' site, COMPARES WITH: Accurate #2, Alliant American Select, Hodgdon Tite Group, Hodgdon Trailboss, Ramshot Zip--and intended for shotshell usage only.

Does anyone know why there are Vectan powders for sale with names that don't appear on the Vectan web sites? Are they just re-brainding someone else's powder to widen their market or have they really brought out new powders that haven't made it to their European web sites yet?

Do you have a thread to elaborate more on your experience with this powder? Do you know if it plays nice in .45?

I'm about to make my yearly powder purchase and I'm seriously considering picking up a few #s of this powder I know little about.

I wrote a review on four powders I tried. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225930&hl=%2Bnobel+%2Bsport#entry2550595

I tried SV and had inconsistent velocity results. I think it was largely due to bullets being slightly undersized though. I have since gotten a different barrel with a smaller bore but just haven't gotten around to testing again. I've been meaning to try SV again, but honestly accuracy and velocity SD's are so good with Prima V that I'm not sure if it's worth the effort/time.

Both Prima V and SV meter great.

What weight bullet are you thinking with SV?

Edited by d_striker

Vectan Prima V, per Graf and Sons' site, COMPARES WITH: Accurate #2, Alliant American Select, Hodgdon Tite Group, Hodgdon Trailboss, Ramshot Zip--and intended for shotshell usage only.

Does anyone know why there are Vectan powders for sale with names that don't appear on the Vectan web sites? Are they just re-brainding someone else's powder to widen their market or have they really brought out new powders that haven't made it to their European web sites yet?

The only powder on that list that I've used is Titegroup. I'd say it's just a hair faster burning than Titegroup. I noticed the same velocity with .1gr less Prima V using 147gr plated bullets.

I don't know why they don't show all of their powders on their website either.

I'm not sure about your second question but I can say that the shape and size of the powders I tried are very unique. I've never seen anyone else with a square flake powder or irregular spheres like the Prima line.

I tried SV and had inconsistent velocity results. I think it was largely due to bullets being slightly undersized though. I have since gotten a different barrel with a smaller bore but just haven't gotten around to testing again. I've been meaning to try SV again, but honestly accuracy and velocity SD's are so good with Prima V that I'm not sure if it's worth the effort/time.

Both Prima V and SV meter great.

What weight bullet are you thinking with SV?

I use 147gr coated for the majority of my shooting. But I'm thinking of venturing into 124gr coated for my new Costa. It seems to like a bit more heat to operate properly and my 147gr/Clay Dot loads are already at the upper range of safe use.

I wrote a review on four powders I tried. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225930&hl=%2Bnobel+%2Bsport#entry2550595

Thanks for the link. I've had pretty good results with Clays/Clay Dot in my guns so SV doesn't concern me. But it couldn't hurt to pick up some V as well.

Thanks for the link. I've had pretty good results with Clays/Clay Dot in my guns so SV doesn't concern me. But it couldn't hurt to pick up some V as well.

If youve been using clay dot, I think you'll like SV a lot.

I shot Prima V at Area 1. 124gr Xtreme RN at 3.9gr PV OAL 1.125 in my Stock 2.

But I currently load to 4.0gr.

The recoil is too minimal, even less than N320. I load it around 140 pf. The accuracy is acceptable. I think it's more accurate than N320 but not as accurate as TG or WSF. I am going to be using it for my practice and local matches. I use N320 for majors with Xtreme 124gr Jalopoint bullet because I had some big variation in my bullets. Some say there isn't but there is since I use mixed brass. I will shoot factory ammo next year after I burn all the loaded major match ammo.

I personally think PV is the best option for me right now. The best price with performance. I have over 30lbs of it.

I highly recommend to use PV.

Received my batch of Prima V/SV a few days ago. Got 12 different loads between 3 different bullets. If the weather is favorable, I'll be able to chrono this next week and post my results. If accuracy is decent (and I don't suck too bad), I may post some groupings as well.

Still at the range chrono'ing. But initial results have me feeling a tad unease about using either SV or V for my needs. I'll post some pics in the next thread for you guys to chime in on what I'm seeing.

Still at the range chrono'ing. But initial results have me feeling a tad unease about using either SV or V for my needs. I'll post some pics in the next thread for you guys to chime in on what I'm seeing.

let us know

I had that feeling with SV.

My primers with V look the same as they do with Titegroup and n320 so I'm not worried about it. Definitely interested in seeing your pics though.

• 2 weeks later...