Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bomars And Cz

SRT Driver

Anything can be done, just how much money do you want to spend? :)

Seriously, I do think there is enough meat on top of the slide, I just don't think I have ever seen it done. But remember, if you mill the slide, it is no longer a Production legal gun since you have just done an external modification. You could however mill the sight down to make it fit, and that's legal for Production.

SRT, Maybe ask Shaun (or Matt of Angus) to post a picture of the view from behing the gun (sights) before you look too hard at a Bo-mar.

The sights that angus put on Shaun's gun offer a pretty good sight picture. And, you might like the looks of them...if you like Bo-mars. ;)

They aren't adjustable though. But, I don't think that is very important for our game. (In fact, I think it is one more thing that can break.)

Matt, I think you can mill the slide to install sights and still be Production legal in USPSA, but not in IPSC.

Flex,

I agree about not needing them but it would be kind of cool! :D I just wondering if it was possible, not necessary. I saw the pictures in Angus' website.

External modifications other than sights are not allowed for the US. In fact RIIID and I were discussing this last weekend. They really are nice on his XD.

I've seen many CZ 75/85 fitted with Bo-Mar. Swedish smith Haakan Spuhr does this job often and used to have pictures of it hos his website.

Now he mostly uses flat-based Bo-Mar that is mounted with a heavy duty screw in stead of the dove tail version.

\\gorgon

Matt, I think you can mill the slide to install sights and still be Production legal in USPSA, but not in IPSC.

That's not the way I read it.

21.5 External modifications other than sights not allowed.

The above rule says to me that I can change sights to anything I want, except for optics, of course. If I have to mill the slide to accept Bo-Mar's, that is not legal. I would have to mill the slide, therefore that would be an external modification. Putting the sight on is legal, but not the act of milling the slide to get it on. You can however, mill the SIGHT to get it to fit, and that would be perfectly legal.

The above rule does not say:

21.5 External modifications, other than sights and the work required to install the sights, not allowed.

But if the pistol in question came from the factory that way, that would be a whole nuther story.

Well, there you go believing what you read in the rule book :D

You'd think that milling a Production slide for sights would be an "external modification", even if were to accept a new sight....

But for whatever reason Amidon ruled (published in Front Sight I think) that milled in Bomars on Production guns were legal in USPSA... even if it required milling to install.... there are tons of Glocks and XDs out there with low-mount milled in Bomars out there....

But in IPSC you can't mill the slide, only sights that fit your factory cut.... now if your EAA or CZ type gun came with the bomar type LPA sights from the factory, thats legal....

Another example of something USPSA legal, but not in IPSC.....

Matt,

You are right, in that there is not a ruling. (USPSA just came out with the idea of "official ruling" with the green book, we didn't have them before.)

Amidon has put in print an opinion. And, based on the weight of his opinion, many have milled to install their sight.

I couldn't care less either way (i've never been beat because somebody milled Bomars onto their gun, instead of having them hang off the back), but...since they are out there, lets keep them?

FWIW, I took the rear sight off my para, which if not a bomar is a pretty close copy, and put it on my CZ85. I had to shim the dovetail and build a higher front sight but it works pretty good.

Yes, it certainly can be done.

A gentleman I shoot with did it to his CZ 75. He has a mill in his garage. He did say that the cut got into the firing pin block channel a bit, and he ended up pinning the plunger in the up position permanently.

I took the easy route and bought the sights Angus sells, they're nice and easy.

• 11 months later...

I don't know if the Witness large frame limited slide has more or less meat to it than the CZ but I went both the Bomar rear and fibre optic front site on my Witness slide. I provided the Bomar and how do you spell expensive$350. The job was done by Magnum Precision in Phoenix who is a genius with this gun type. Jeff had to mill down the rear of the slide and then did the prettiest silver soldering job I have ever seen attaching the Bomar to the slide. He then created a fibre optic front site.

The slide is tough, gets softer on the inside but it is hard hard steel.

I love the results. Even with the older limited top end with a 4.5 " barrell the size radius is still exactly what my 1911 is with the same site set up.

Was it worth the cost? Probably not financially but the shooting results are great.

I have seen Bo-Mars on CZ's, and Tanfoglio before Tanfoglio had the Supersight. Some don't mount them as low as you would on a 1911, and install a higher front sight. I have a set of Mec-Gar adjustables on my 85 that fit the standard dovetail, and I get a pretty good sight picture even with the wide front blade. I am with Flex though, I would likely go with the stuff from Angus, they're pretty trick ;)

Kindof an old topic, but a good question.

Milled in Bo-Mars are legal in Production for some reason. And since my first post, I had a guy send me a CZ with milled Bo-Mars for a trigger job, so I know now it is possible. It looked pretty good too.

• 3 weeks later...
Matt,

You are right, in that there is not a ruling. (USPSA just came out with the idea of "official ruling" with the green book, we didn't have them before.)

Amidon has put in print an opinion. And, based on the weight of his opinion, many have milled to install their sight.

I couldn't care less either way (i've never been beat because somebody milled Bomars onto their gun, instead of having them hang off the back), but...since they are out there, lets keep them?

Actually, there is a ruling.

-----------------------------

NROI Rulings

Title: Sights in Production

Created: 6/15/05

Updated: 6/23/05

Effective: 6/30/05

Rule number: US Appendix D9 i

Applies to: Pistol

Ruling authority: John Amidon

Question

My question is in regard to USPSA production division sight modifications. Can the slide be milled for differrent sights (ie buried BoMars for a Glock) as long as they are notch and post as specified in Special condition 21.2? Or, must the sights fit in the factory dovetail?

Ruling

Sights may be replaced to the original handgun, if milling the slide is required to replace them, it is allowed providing that the sights being installed, remain of the Post and Notch type as required in item 21.2 of Appendix US D9. This ruling applies to US Production division only, as IPSC does not allow this for International competition.

Return to NROI Rulings

Copyright © 2004 USPSA, P.O. Box 811, Sedro Woolley WA 98284

ETA:

I just saw the date on the post I was quoting, it was from before this ruling.

Edited by GeorgeInNePa