Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo hang ups, is their a cure?

Keola5o4

Ok so far: polished and rounded the edge of the extractor, polished the bolt face, polished the sharp edges around the barrel face, and retuned most of my mags. I cycled every thing by hand and every thing in falling into place smoothly. Now for some range time to really make sure everything's good

Ps: also gonna seat the ammo alittle deeper hopefully my power factor remains the same

Edited by Keola5o4

@Hl5-0 I took everything off and tried it, yes it feeds with out the extractor installed

you're getting close to figuring it out! :)

Just be careful and dont go crazy with the extractor and a file

Don't try to set the mag lips on an old style SVI to STI specs, they are much different. The SVI lips look different and are set to a opening much like your picture. STI runs in that .355 area. I have seen perfectly good SV mags wrecked by trying to bend the lips.

@Hl5-0 I took everything off and tried it, yes it feeds with out the extractor installed

Put more of a bevel on the corners of the firing pin stop where it mates with the extractor. It, the extractor, has to be able to pivot a little more on the fp stop.

Put more of a bevel on the corners of the firing pin stop where it mates with the extractor. It, the extractor, has to be able to pivot a little more on the fp stop.

This, OP doesn't say if he beveled or rounded the firing pin stop per the aftec instructions.

Made plans to hit it up this weekend, gonna do a gear check before area 1. I will put a range report up possibly by this Saturday.

Edited by Keola5o4

• 4 weeks later...

I may be a little late on this, but do you run an extended ejector? If so, bevel the bottom so it does not touch a round with a loaded mag (slide and barrel removed of course). When I did that, my FTF issues went away.

But looks like you've solved your issue

I had the feed issue from hell once, but it was one every 500 or so. I finally went with Round nose bullets instead of the JHP, this cured it. After abut 20,000 rounds fed without any issues I switched back to JHP. I've shot with people that are yanking on their slide racker 3 or 4 times a match and when I asked what they were doing about the feed issue they looked at me like I just fell out of a UFO.

I tryed running 124 gr zeros round nose those gave me the most problems "the gun hates it" I switched to 124 precisions delta hollow points and besides the slide hangs ups I had really didn't have much of a issue. Ran through area1 without a problem "well...one problem it was more personal hahaha!"

Edited by Keola5o4

You probably fixed your issue by seating bullets alittle deeper.

FN bullets due to their different ogive shape and relatively sharp radius at the edge may bounce violently off the ramp if slide velocity is high enough.

I got this when I tried to load longest OAL I could get away with, coated 147 minor loads. Seated a bit deeper and problem was gone.