Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scope or red dot

rmj339

I'd have a hard time using a red dot at 200+ yards ...

The 1.5x - 5x would be a lot better for me.

But, it's highly personal.

Probably 90% of your shooting will be 100 yards or less,

and then the red dot will be faster, for me.

Tough choice - but I'd go with the scope. :cheers:

Before I went to a pris for my limited rifles I used a 2 MOA micro, and hit everything out to 600 or so, but with my eyes the etched reticle is better. Others are using Aimpoints and the new MRO in limited and doing just fine. Shoot whatever trips your trigger!

I use a 300y zero on a red dot (Strikefire II) out to 400y with good effect. Hold just under 6:00 around the 150-200y mark, center for 250-325 or so, then you only have to aim like a foot high at 400. Indeed, magnification has its benefits, particularly if the targets are smaller than 4 MOA, not placed on backers, or somesuch, but out to 300y a red dot is totally doable.

If I can see it, I can kill it out to 600 yards with my 2MOA Aimpoint ML3. The big question is whether I can see it... target presentation is everything. With a white or yellow backer, you can see a black painted LaRue at 500 yards easy. With no backer, a white painted, well shot MGM Flash, a pitted berm and strong side lighting, you can't see the damned target at 200 yards (cough... MG Nats... cough :devil: ).

Edited by StealthyBlagga