Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not more limited minor?

kevinm

Of course the rules favor Major. More recoil, more risk. Minor is softer and potentially more accurate. There's your "balance" - but nobody said everything in life has to be "fair" (def: "it's fair if it's what I want").

Not really "balance" now is it? If it was balanced, 1/2 the limited participants would shoot minor.

He was talking about balancing the benefits of major vs minor, not making the participation in each one equal.

I'm confused. If you balance the benefits of major and minor, wouldn't at least 1/2 shoot minor, if only to save $$$?

Seriously, not trying to be a smart @$$.... isn't the overwhelming dominance of major an indication that there isn't much (if any) balance?

Edited by IronArcher

If you shoot mostly Alpha's, minor is a good place to be but shooting Minor is not good if you shoot Charlie's and Delta's.

Ashley Reuark is an A shooter, a Junior, she shoots Minor in Limited, she was 2nd place A shooter in Area 6, I think it was 1 Delta and 1 Charley that cost her 1st place.

Not sure if she would be as accurate shooting Major, but most likely would be.

DVC, (accuracy, power, speed). The scoring values favor major power factor, simply because of the principle that if you hit with more power it is more effective. If you are going to bring less power, you need to make up for it in accuracy and/or speed, either with more Alphas or faster times to boost hit factor. Major/minor scoring is not about balancing the benefit of 9mm vs .40, it is just one side of the DVC triangle that each shooter has to figure out for themselves how they can get the best hit factor, and for most people in limited there is a slight edge for major.

Take revolver division, virtually everyone that shoots it, does it with minor, because of speed. 8 shot revolvers allow them to cut out standing reloads that would happen with 6 shot major. This isn't a problem that major scoring is not desirable enough to make them shoot major. The scoring just is what is is for the hits. Their fastest, best way to solve the problem just happens to be with minor guns and the extra capacity.

I can see the desire to shoot minor if you don't want a new caliber for just one division/gun. Makes reloading life a bit easier. I'm still wanting to do that with SS so everything is 40 for me, so I get that. But for Limited, the major scoring far outweighs the extra 3 rounds you'd get in a mag. Might help you on the rare 22-23 round stages, but usually I end up reloading somewhere around 16-18 rounds on a normal field course. Extra rounds would do me no good. I can see a slight increase in recoil management from a minor gun, but the extra time to ensure more A-hits would neutralize that benefit. And then if you pull a shot, you've hurt yourself even more.

When the Nationals winner is shooting minor (or there are multiple people shooting minor and finish in the top 10) then its a viable option.

If you shoot mostly Alpha's, minor is a good place to be but shooting Minor is not good if you shoot Charlie's and Delta's.

Ashley Reuark is an A shooter, a Junior, she shoots Minor in Limited, she was 2nd place A shooter in Area 6, I think it was 1 Delta and 1 Charley that cost her 1st place.

Not sure if she would be as accurate shooting Major, but most likely would be.

She also shot almost 94% of the available points which is pretty stout. It could be a that the mike and 20+ seconds in time cost her 1st also.

I can shoot A's faster with a minor gun than a major one, but I can shoot both guns as fast. The benefit of major is you are only losing half the points for a C compared to to minor so you will shoot it faster and still get the same points.......I know this seems simple but for some reason people never really let it sink in. Where major is king is partials and longer shots. You can just aim into the brown area and blast quickly with major. Shooting minor you either have to take a slightly better sight picture for the A or just blast at the brown and possibly take the hit in points, both of which have a negative impact compared to a major shooter.

What gets interesting is when you really look at times, hits, and hit factors between Prod and Ltd. In reality Prod is shooting the same speed, getting the same amount of available points but adding in reloads is the huge difference.

What really makes me chuckle is that a lot of the same people that say the extra 3+ rounds in Ltd minor don't make a difference are the same people that spend $150+/mag to get 1 extra .40 round or will tell you if you run a 28 round big stick in open you are not competitive. :D

If you can get extra rounds AND major scoring, seems like a win-win :).

but yes, 19 vs 20 rounds in a .40 mag shouldn't make much of a difference either. 1 random stage here or there it might save you but any short courses with mandatory reloads or long field courses it'll be washed up in the rest of the stage.

Major vs Minor started as a way to keep 1911s in the game against the competitive advantage of the double stack 9mm Browning Hi Powers; that was 7 rounds Major vs 13 rounds Minor.

In today's divisions with today's guns the advantage swings both ways: Production mandates Minor, 8 shot Minor seems to have the advantage in Revo, 10 Minor vs 8 shot Major seems pretty closely matched in SS, but Major has the advantage in the rest.

If I shoot Limited Minor it because I'm using my 3-gun 9mm pistola mostly for practice (and fun). I did not want to add another caliber (.40) for reloading. Sometimes it is fun to jump from Production to Limited just to break out of a rut.