Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Check the scoring RO's work

nahanshew89

At a recent Lvl I, there was a classifier that I didn't do great on. As a result, I wasn't too concerned with how it was scored, since I knew it was craptastic. Well when I looked at the results later that night, on that classifier I had 2 penalties and 2 Mikes. I know what I shot; 4A, 4A 1NS, 2A 1C 1NS. Granted, it wouldn't have really improved my HF by a whole lot. Lesson learned: pay attention to how the stage is being scored, regardless of how one felt they did, and double check the scores on the Nook or whatever method is being used to score.

Please don't use this space to flame me or give me advice, I learned my lesson here and am only posting this experience for someone else to learn from. Thank you.

Yeah I got home from an idpa match and checked scores and had 20 secs of penalties on one stage. Guy hit ftdr instead of procedural. With small screens and the nooks and tablets being finicky, it's easy to do.

Well when I looked at the results later that night, on that classifier I had 2 penalties and 2 Mikes. I know what I shot; 4A, 4A 1NS, 2A 1C 1NS.

If you hit a No shoot you also get a Mike for the missed shot on the brown, So 2 Penalties(NS) and 2 mikes sound correct for nailing 2 NS.

Edited by alecmc

Well when I looked at the results later that night, on that classifier I had 2 penalties and 2 Mikes. I know what I shot; 4A, 4A 1NS, 2A 1C 1NS.

If you hit a No shoot you also get a Mike for the missed shot on the brown, So 2 Penalties(NS) and 2 mikes sound correct for nailing 2 NS.

I only count one mike and two NS. Edited by Sarge

I only count one mike and two NS.

You didn't RO him did you? :)

Indeed, it was on the perf. CM 09-03, "Oh No", middle target. Again, I know it wouldn't have made a huge difference, but 10 points is 10 points.

So i just used the practiscore app on my phone to double check my results. If I had been scored correctly, my HF would have been 2.2439 and according to the results page, I was scored a measly .3902 and he gave 8A 1C 1D 2M 2NS.

So basically I was wrong, it would have dramatically improved my HF. I had video proof of my scores, but I had cropped out the scoring so I could focus on the shooting in review and deleted the raw footage. Not that it would have done me any good, and I don't really care that much. I still had a fun day, regardless.

Nate, this is Dave B. You weren't on my squad, so I don't know who did what. We try to get RO's to call out the hits to the score person, and that person should repeat back.

I know a lot goes on between, but keep your ears open to what's being called. When I hear NS or Mikes, I like to look back at the targets to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen.

I know we have a few new RO's, and so details of perf hits tend to get confused. See you in May.

Edited by awfaxis

I see it way too often people are adding Penalties instead of NS. Even they both cost -10 points - they can't be used interchangeably and it is plain wrong to give Penalties instead of NS.

Nate, this is Dave B. You weren't on my squad, so I don't know who did what. We try to get RO's to call out the hits to the score person, and that person should repeat back.

I know a lot goes on between, but keep your ears open to what's being called. When I hear NS or Mikes, I like to look back at the targets to make sure stuff like this doesn't happen.

I know we have a few new RO's, and so details of perf hits tend to get confused. See you in May.

Dave, it was a guy I haven't seen out there before, I think his name was Ben or Bill. He wasn't certified I'm sure. I'm pretty sure the guy calling scores had it right, it was the guy entering them in the Nook that got it wrong. Oh well, it wasn't a big deal, we learn and move on. See ya then, got a new Open gun to try out :ph34r:

• 4 weeks later...

With small screens and the nooks and tablets being finicky, it's easy to do.

And some of them being crazy hard to see when the sun is really out bright, and then there are rain or sweat drops that fake out the touch screen, and etc etc .

If we live long enough maybe somebody will design a reasonably priced device for outdoor use.

Make a habit of looking at the scores on the Nook/iPad. You generally only have one opportunity to confirm.

Make a habit of it.

I lost an excellent run on El Pres to a retard running a Nook. Now I verify.

did the idpa classifier last weekend. checked overall score on the nook after the match and was embarrassed how ugly it was. then looked in detail on practiscore and had no points down on one stage, but a handful of NO SHOOTS (which most prolly know aren't on the idpa classifier). guess the scorer was hitting the no shoot button and not the points down button.

Make a habit of looking at the scores on the Nook/iPad. You generally only have one opportunity to confirm.

Make a habit of it.

I lost an excellent run on El Pres to a retard running a Nook. Now I verify.

Isn't incompetent a better word to use instead of "retard"

Everyone who is complaining also spends their fair share of time running the nook/kindle , right ??

yep i have; especially in cold or rain or dust, with small screen and small keys, very easy to make mistakes.