Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Aluminum Guide Rod

I've got it down to 44 oz and my guide rod weights 1.6 I have a Dawson ordered that should get me to 42.9 I may want to cur a little more just to be safe.

How much weight can save with a titanium FP?

Oh and I think its a "modern frame" so the window in the side of the frame is ki DA small. I think that's why its heavy.

Hello: Cut the hole under the grip larger. Titanium firing pin will be very little weight savings. You could also turn the barrel down some, tri top the slide and use lighter grips. Magazines with plastic or lightened base pads. Thanks, Eric

Pat, it is a 9mm that's contributing to the problem too.

I've taken some weight out of the grips, and from the frame. There is more that can be taken from the frame so that will be my next step.

It has a Dawson Aluminum MSH and mag well, I'm trying not to change the out side of the gun because she really likes the way it looks. And with women that is a pretty big deal. lol. I'm going to work on the grips more tonight and cut more out of the frame and see where that gets me.

I like the idea of getting the barrel turned down, anyone know a good place to get that done that can turn it around pretty quick?

Hello: You can find a local machine shop to turn it down but not too close to the muzzle end. Should be a 20 minute job in the lathe, that what it takes me. Get some Ergo grips they are the lightest I have found. They are 0.8465751ozs for both, even wood ones are in the 1.7oz range. I would do the grips first. Thanks, Eric

Why not the Al guide rod?

I have the Dawson one in my 9mm SS and the pistol runs great and I have yet to see any issues. Yes the part wears out, but as long as the gun is serviced, I would think it's not a big deal. I believe they are on sale for $10 right now too.

I am coming in at 42.5 oz currently. I have switched to the Magpul grips from the ergos. I can get you a weight if it's helpful.