Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Seriously looking at a Stock II

Matt229

So I have been looking moving into a Stock II from the world of Glocks. I have read a bunch of posts on here about people buying two of them. One serving as a back-up for matches, it is also used as the dry fire gun. Do the Stock II's go down that frequently that I should worry about buying two of them? I am not a gunsmith and some of the disassembly and reassembly video's have scared the crap out of me.

Can some of you that have covered to the dark side please advise?

Thanks,

Matt

I've shot my friend's Stock II (I shoot CZ SP01). He only has one and put in parts/springs himself. He only has some spare parts for his (not a second gun). I believe he carries a spare hammer spring, spare recoil spring, spare slide stop, and a few other misc. parts in case needed. I'm not sure that I would buy a second Stock II until after I tweaked one and ran it for awhile. If you find that you don't want to keep running one it is easier to sell one than two. Unless you shoot a lot of matches, including major matches, I can't see a justifying reason to have two guns all decked out (unless of course you can afford the second gun and parts and want one bad enough). I have a backup CZ (I put all parts in myself), but that is because I bought the second one from someone that bought it, tried it, and sold it for a good price when they decided that competition was not their bag. I carry a couple of spare springs, spare slide stop, etc. in my range bag.

That is very insightful! Thank you for taking the time to share that. I do not shoot tons of matches, but am nervous about a break down in the middle of a match. Heck with my Glocks I have every part needed to replace anything that is broken (except the slide, frame and barrel).

qq, are you using snap caps for dry fire practice or are they not required for the Stock II?

I have a Stock II that has been utterly reliable, but I'm going to get a back up. My reasoning is that replacement pets might be hard to come by from EAA. Almost anything you can break on a Glock will be stocked by a local gun store and can easily be replaced. The Stock II pets are a little more difficult to find and might require fitting.

ETA: my gunsmith recommended that I use snap caps when dry firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by wav3rhythm

Wav, great point. I had not thought of the parts availability issue. Although, I think JJ Racaza just opened a store here in Vegas that stocks these things, but I have yet to make it in there.

I have two. If I'm going to travel across multiple states, or fly to a match, it's an absolute requirement. My backup gun has probably only shot a few hundred rounds though.

I am nowhere good enough to travel, so that may not be a consideration. Someday I aspire to have to worry about things like that. Lol

I would agree with above... If you're traveling or shooting majors where entry fee and travel costs will add up quickly... A second gun is relatively cheap insurance that you're not throwing that money away and having to drop out due to an inoperable gun (even tho unlikely it's BOUND to happen when you've forked over cash to play!). If you're just shooting locals with little invested in each individual match I would say a pair of guns is not necessary if you're looking to save on cost

The game is important. I would hate for my primary to go down and not be able to locate replacement parts. The more and more I think about it, I think a backup is required. Lol. Maybe a regular stock 2 as a backup to an xtreme if I can find one.

Your Glock is a fine backup gun for now.

My Stock 2's have been stupid reliable. A Trigger Return Spring will break occasionally but I dry fire the fool out of them and simply replace the $3 TRS spring periodically. You don't need a snap cap in my experience.

I have 2 Stock 2's and a Lim pro and have yet to use one as a backup gun.

It's good to have two, especially in the travelling scenarios discussed above. I have not needed my backup Stock 2, but it's best to be prepared. You don't want to be smithing between stages if you don't have to. I made the same switch you did "from Glock to Stock". At first i thought I'd just bring a separate rig and have a Glock for a backup, but that's quite a plarform change at a level 3 match. (BTW, you ARE good enough to go to bigger matches like your area match. I'd encourage you to take that step.) The only issue I have with buying two was I did this pretty close to the peak of Stock 2 "unicorn" pricing. That's not the case anymore.

I have two Stock 2's that are very close in tune and upgraded parts. Almost all my matches of any level are 1.5-hrs in any direction. Having a spare gun is almost always better than having spare parts, because you don't have to diagnose, and fix the problem on a safe table, praying a spring doesn't fly into the berm of poison ivy. If you lose parts on your bench under ideal conditions, working on a gun at a match under stress, will be a recipe for further frustration. Swap guns, fix broken one at home.

Your Glock is a fine backup gun for now.

My Stock 2's have been stupid reliable. A Trigger Return Spring will break occasionally but I dry fire the fool out of them and simply replace the $3 TRS spring periodically. You don't need a snap cap in my experience.

I have 2 Stock 2's and a Lim pro and have yet to use one as a backup gun.

good to know, I'm saving up for a back up .

My Stock IIs have been very reliable.

But if you take the game seriously, I don't see how you can not have a backup gun. Preferably your own. But if you know you are shooting a match with a friend who runs the same gun (and it runs you ammo) that would do in a pinch.

There aren't very many repairs I'd want to make on a Stock II during a match. Too many small parts to lose at a safe table.

But if you take the game seriously, I don't see how you can not have a backup gun. Preferably your own. But if you know you are shooting a match with a friend who runs the same gun (and it runs you ammo) that would do in a pinch.

There aren't very many repairs I'd want to make on a Stock II during a match. Too many small parts to lose at a safe table.

What he said. And my spare is one I bought from him!

Ok, I am sold on the logic. Will add a back up based on availability.