Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Divided Attention

EricW

I hate doing things halfway - which really is making me begin to loathe 3-gun because I'm trying to do things one-third of the way. Actually, the way my time is divided, I'd be lucky if I was doing any one thing 1/6th or 1/9th of the way. It's so bad, it's just not fun anymore. I can't even get motivated to go to a match, much less finish one.

I learned a valuable lesson this weekend: master one thing at time. THEN and only then, go do something else.

I'm seriously considering never shooting a 3-gun match again until I get my M-card with a pistol. I hate incompetence. I hate feeling like this.

:angry:

A discouraging day is no reason to stop doing anything. Buck up man! Get back in the saddle and stop whining about a bad day at the range. Any day spent shooting any match with any result is a good day, always!

--

Regards,

EricW

then you would be good with a pistol and suck a the other two :D

believe me..thats how I feel whenever I try and shoot rifle or shotgun..

Trying to get ready for an STC event..bear in mind..I shoot shotgun about once or twice a year..and precision rifle..ha...hardly ever.

My practice is broken down now..still not as much that would be beneficial..but still trigger time...

I get to shoot some shotgun maybe once a week..then some rifle and pistol on the weekends.. I tend to keep the practices short so I can be focused on what I am doing..

anyway..this is a hate rant..

just shoot the dang guns..we all suck..the winner just did less dum things.. B)

I'm sticking with my plan. I shall learn one thing, learn it well, then learn something else. I'm such a crappy rifle shooter, it defies human comprehension. Trying to shoot 3 gun w/o knowing what I'm doing is a waste of 50-plus people's time at a match.

I also hate that the only place to *really* learn how to dope the wind live fire is 140 miles away.

I agree with Eric.

3-gun just for fun :) Master the pistol first, what you learn there will make you a better shooter anyway (no matter what you shoot), then learn to reload the shotgun (shooting it is easy), then learn to rifle shoot (someday, that's why I have a Beta mag)

Eric,

Stick with it. You're never going to reach a level where you are happy with your skills. Even GM's want to keep pushing to find that next level. Yes, 3-Gun demands more time, but the trick is to not sacrifice one systems practice time for another. My pistol practice sessions run about an hour. My 3-Gun practice sessions run about 3 hours (1 hour each.) If you can't dedicate that much time, then work on two gun sessions (pistol/shotgun & pistol/rifle.) You'll still get plenty of pistol practice time without giving up 3-Gun. Remember, if it was easy, everyone would be a champion.

Erik

Eric, listen to Erik. The jack of all trades, master of none idea is not a good way to look at 3gun shooting. Look at it as choosing to use all the tools in the shop instead of specializing in running a sander.

--

Regards,

Eric - I hear ya on this one!

We're all competetive, so it's hard to go out and shoot when you know you haven't practiced all three guns the way you should. Let it go and just shoot for fun.

Recently, I practice one long arm and pistol each session - well, maybe just the rifle and pistol :D

I suck at the SG and want to keep it that way!

After a little playing around at 3-Gun, I made a decision to do it purely for fun only and give up any hope of competitiveness for the time being. Much saner now. The 38 Super Mech-Tech mini-rifle annoys the camo-clad-AR crowd too. Bonus!

I just can't have fun randomly slinging lead downrange. It isn't in my psyche. If something doesn't go "Thwack!" when I pull the trigger, I'm pissed off. It's just the way I am.