Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

There was a thread a while back about "articles we SHOULD see" this ain't it.

Please, let them be REAL articles you read in a gun rag somewhere.

I'll get you started....

"My Choice for my Millenium Survival Pistol." OK, I am paraphrasing here, I can't find the article, but it was in late 99, and there was an article on how the Sig 210 was the ultimate "Millenium Survival" pistol, for hunting, personal defense with easy to find 9mm, and accurate out to over 100yards!!!

"the Maturing of IDPA" By Walt Rauch. ROFLMAO. The ultimate justification. nuff said.

The uncredited side bar "Myth of the 5 second El Prez" was almost as good. he redefines the El Prez to suit the article, and claims no one has ever broken 5 seconds. I wrote a challenge to Roy Huntington, and got blown off.

And I should pick on our own Duane Thomas a little, for the 9mm vs. .45, and "Why YOU should Choose 9mm". But he is protected under the "BENOS Member Clause". ;)(I know he'll find this htread in about 2 seconds flat, so before he does, I am only kidding Duane.)

OK, what are your UN-Favorites.....real ones only.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American Handgunner has become "Gun Cosmo" with damn little meat, but once in a while they are funny. The one where Clint Smith is so tough he picks on other tactical trainers, I almost busteda gut reading.

"We'll quit teaching weaver when there's something better out there to shoot a full power handgun, accurately, at speed." I'm paraphrasing badly from memory again, but that was the jist. And no it's not a quote from 1974.

Harris Publications sent me an advertiser's packet with a bunch of sample rags. On the cover of one of them, I sh*t you not:

"How a Sword Can Save Your Life!"

When Harris asked if I could submit my product for review, I told them (in nicer terms) that I didn't want anyone that wrote crap like that within a million miles of anything of mine.

Harris Publications sent me an advertiser's packet with a bunch of sample rags.  On the cover of one of them, I sh*t you not:

"How a Sword Can Save Your Life!"

When Harris asked if I could submit my product for review, I told them (in nicer terms) that I didn't want anyone that wrote crap like that within a million miles of anything of mine.

Hey! Swords have a long martial history, and they still work.... :ph34r:

Hey!  Swords have a long martial history, and they still work.... :ph34r:

Yeah, out to about 4 feet :D:D:D

dj

Which is where most self defense situations occur. Face it, from one bar stool to another it is a whole lot more fun to cut a man to bits than to just shoot him. Of course, nothing beats using your bare hands so you can really feel the bones break, but why risk injuring your shooting finger? :P

Well an article that has stuck in my mind for a lot of years was from Jeff Cooper.

Jeff used to write a regular column for Combat Handguns on practical shooting competition, and at the time of the article "pin guns" and maybe single port comps were starting to show up at matches.

Jeff assured all of us that these "rooney guns" would disappear soon, they obviously would be found to be no good for practical competition.

He summed up with something like,"unless a gun is practical, it will never make a good competion pistol."

And just one line from a gun review I've never forgotten. The author described this new wonder gun as having a "shiny matte finish." A what?

Al

American Handgunner, July/August 2003 (we have beat that around on here before).

It isn't the same stage that we call El Prez in USPSA, not at all.

And, yeah...that one sticks out as a pretty crappy article. In looking for it, I found a lot of anti-IPSC stuff.

What a bunch of crap.

And, yeah...that one sticks out as a pretty crappy article.  In looking for it, I found a lot of anti-IPSC stuff.

What a bunch of crap.

And why do we care? The top shooters of OUR sport dominate their sport, most C-class USPSA shooters can outshoot most IDPA shooters, and our game is more fun.

There are too many rules to remember in IDPA. The only rule in a gunfight is shoot the other guy before he shoots you... it's the best tactic, too. IDPA should be shot with Simunitions if there really is some "spirit" that they're trying to dis-disembody.

One of them finished ahead of me. Of course, so did Carina...

I had 1st B Lim in the bag until disaster struck on our last 2 stages. Looking over the list today I did end up ahead of a lot of ppl that are better known. I "almost" won a stage, but an A shooter got it. I think the super-squad all came out of the holster blasting on a 3-yd target; I saved it for last.

Jack Ragsdale finished the best out of our squad. He was pretty dialed in that year. Not bad for a short, red-headed desk sergeant. ;)

I used ot shoot locally with GuyNeill...nice guy and when I knew him a good shooter...went to the Natl's with him one yr...he did pretty well...finished in the top 50 I think....Not all gun writers are just writers..... :P

Guy was all right, fairly quiet in fact. IIRC his main job is testing ammo loads. Bless him for that. No problem there.

Walt had plenty of stories, plenty of opinions. Not any I cared for.

Kirby Smith wrote some pretty good articles for Handgun Quarterly, back before the parent mag - Shooting Times - went south in a big way. Took his own pictures. Shot with him in some state match once.

Layne Simpson was good too, used to see him at Area 6 or SC local matches.

Edited by caspian28r