Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pump Gun Recomendations

Rising Sight

I am looking at starting to shooting a shotgun in USPSA matches. I have a friend that has a brand new Winchester Defender that he said he would sell me for $200. I have a Remington 870 3 1/2" that I was thinking about trying to use also. I really like the 870 and am not sure how the Winchester compares to it. Should I just lay down the $200 on the Winchester or put the money into the 870?

Thanks.

It's really a personal thing having a second shotgun just for matches. The Remington you have can be set up with a new barrel, mag extension, etc., for less than the cost of the Defender and you can swap back and forth depending on what you are doing with it that day.

If you do want to have two guns, getting another 870 is not a bad idea. The Winchester safety and slide release are in different positions than the 870, forcing you to remember which gun you have at the time. Easier to have the same controls on both guns or the same gun.

Just my $.02,

John

I thought it would cost more to set up the 870 that I already have then to buy the Defender. I'll have to price a mag extension and new barrel.

Is there any disadvantage to having the 3 1/2" chamber rather than a 2 3/4"?

Thanks.

I would get the Winchester, just so you can keep your 870 for "other" sports. For 200 bones the Win Defender will be a fine gun for you to start with, and if it doesn't work out, you still have your 870 in stock config. You will spend well over the 200 to "convert" the 870, especially if you need a new barrel or having that one cut and choked, although you didn't mention the barrel's current configuration. Bottom line- either one would be fine.

I would save my money and buy an auto loader, ie. rem 1100 or something similar. you would need to add a mag extension to bring your round count to 8+ one. you buy a pump and shoot it at a few matches and you will find you are not competitive against the auto loaders and you will then want to trade up to one or you'll be sorry you spent your money on the pump. just my opinion.

You didn't tell us what division you want or eventually want to compete in. If you are going to shoot in tactical/limited/open... BBoyd's advice is sound. Save your $ and get an auto.

But if you are going to shoot He-man/Heavy Metal I'd say stick with the 870 and fix it up.

I don't know which version of the Defender your friend has. But the Defenders I've seen are 7+1 and don't have provisions for chokes. Assuming you don't want to be limited by your equipment, IMHO the Defender will not be a cheaper choice for H class.

You will basically be needing the same parts (<=21/22" barrel threaded for chokes and a magazine tube to bring the capacity up to 8+1) as your 870 to bring it up to speed.

Is the 3 1/2" chamber a disadvantage over a 2 3/4"?

I don't see why it would. You can still use 2 3/4's with that chamber. I don't see how it would hinder you.

I was thinking about shooting Limited Class.

In that case I'd strongly recommend to you that you don't buy the 1300 or fix up the 870. Save up for an auto. From what I've read you can sometimes get an 1100 from Walmart for $400. Or you can always buy a used 1100 for $2-300.

I understand you kind want to get into the sport cheap to see if you will stick with it.

If you want to get your feet wet or just get taste to see if 3Gun is for you... you can get that experience and feedback with your current 870.

Also chances are your 870 will take an 1100 magazine tube. Just buy a 10.25" extended mag tube for and pop it on your 870.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...AZINE+EXTENSION

If you decide to stick with it you can use that tube on an 1100 or an 11/87 (assuming you stick with a Remmy).

My recommendation is to add a long magazine to an existing M870 and see if you like the game. Buy Pat Sweeney's book and do whatever suits you. The mag tube will transfer to the M1100, and what you learn with the M870 will apply to the M1100 too.

My way into the game ( I believe in this route) was a $200 used M1100 deer gun. It already had rifle sights, so I added a DMW Easy Loader and a long magazine, and I was in business. Over the winter, I added a 3" shell lifter (it allows the gun to close when ammo is in the magazine and you hand cycle it), reciever sight and fiber optic front sight. The M1100 route is also nice if you are a recoil wimp, like myself.

The hot ticket in the game seems to be Benelli, but the base gun costs four times what a used but serviceable M1100 does. The advantages cited for the Benelli are that it is lighter and thus transitions from target to target faster, and it cycles faster. Personally, recoil recovery and sight acquisition sets my transition times, and the gun is always closed much sooner than I can use it, so the advantages are moot for me. The disadvantage of the Benelli is that it kicks harder than the M1100. Now, if you are impervious to recoil and you can use the quicker swing from target to target, and don't mind the extra dollars, go for the Benelli.

Billski

• 1 month later...

I did not notice anyone mentioning the weight difference. IIRC the Winchester 1300 Defender I used to own had an alloy receiver making it lighter, and the recoil using slugs was much more noticable than my 870 Rem. Much less fun over a longer COF, and recovery for a second shot was always slower for me than when using the 870.

Paladin

I shot a fellow shooter Winchester SX2 at a match. They cost way more than what my wife will let me spend on a gun for now. I bought a rifled barrel for my 870 with a red dot scope on it for hunting season. I think I'll just buy another barrel for it so I can shoot some matches with that for now.

Shooting a USPSA match with a shotgun is by far the most fun I have ever had with a shotgun. I know I'll end up with something else eventually ,but for now I just want to have some fun with what I have.

I love the Win Defender, althought it's a 7+1 set up. That's the downside. The safety is also in a less-than-optimal place.

For $200, thgough, it's hard to got wrong. I like the pump action of the 1300 better than the 870, as well as the lighter weight.

Either way, you're not going to be competative with a pump gun as compared to shooters with an auto and equal skill. So, I'd get the $200 1300 and shoot it for fun to see if you like the sport. If you do - keep it and get an auto for matches. If you don't - then keep it for an all-around fun little SG.

THe most important thing that I learned about pump shotguns is that a Choke is a must. My first 3-gun shotgun was a Moss 590 with Ghost Rings. I could hold my ground against the slower people with semi's by making up ground on the reloads with lots of practice. However, I would get my butt handed to me if the steel was more than about 12yds away because they set the steel so heavy that a cyclinder bore wouldn't knock it down and I'd waste an entire tube knocking down 2 targets.

I second the turkey gun w/ 21", it worked perfectly with the Dave Metal Works extension that gives 8 2.75" shell capacity. Since the extra full/turkey choke is too tight for courses of fire that don't have 50 yard targets or small heavy targets, I suggest 2 additional choke tubes. I would recommend Skeet for a typical setup w/ close targets, Modified for 30-40 yards. Use extended choke tubes if you want the barrel + choke flush with the mag tube extension. With flush choke tubes the mag extension will protrude about 1" beyond the barrel .

Richard

Schennberg.com