Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vision Correction. is it needed in open?

Sandbagger123

I'm nearsighted, and don't wear correction for Iron Sights. For Open, the focus should be more on the target than the sights. That meant that I needed prescription glasses for open.

It sounds like you will not need any correction to shoot Open.

Well, maybe, maybe not. I held off on getting a dot because every one I looked through gave me either a comet or a halo instead of a dot that was while wearing my glasses. I'd get my eyes examined for years and the Dr would tell me, "You can fill this or not, your vision hasn't changed much.". So I wouldn't. That went on for many years. So I finally got a clue and in discussing it over the phone and what could be done he suggested I come in. Well, all of those "fill it or not" Rx's must have had an effect because the new Rx was just the ticket. The dot was in focus; everything else had been right along. Of course my experience is with CO division but the dot would be the same with Open.

It's my understanding that some folks with a certain condition can't use them (astigmatism?), but that's just scuttlebutt that I've heard.

Edited by BrianKr

I am farsighted and normally wear mono vision contacts. That means I wear +1 for distance in one eye and +2.75 for reading in the other eye. If you are not familiar with that your brain takes it into account and uses the correct image so it works for daily use. If I wear a contact more than +1 in my sighting eye the red dots get pretty badly misshapen and fuzzy. Even at +1 there is some distortion but it's usable for me.

i usually use a contact to fix my vision so i can see the front sight in limited. other than that i don't wear glasses or contacts in everyday life.

i am going to shoot open this season. will i still need to correct my vision when running a dot?

Only you can answer that question. Can you see the dot clearly (no distortion) AND see the targets clearly?

I bought ANSI spec prescription glasses from Morgan Optical. They correct my distance vision and the astigmatism in my shooting eye. I normally shoot everything except Limited with a dot. I've been doing that for years.

The dot and the target are not in the same plane. Theoretically, you are supposed to focus on the dot, not the target. Bullseye shooters do this all the time. I do too for bullseye, but for action I prefer to focus on the target. I don't need bullseye precision, and it is quicker. I look at the target, the gun positions itself and the dot is superimposed on what I want to hit.

I bought ANSI spec prescription glasses from Morgan Optical. They correct my distance vision and the astigmatism in my shooting eye. I normally shoot everything except Limited with a dot. I've been doing that for years.

The dot and the target are not in the same plane. Theoretically, you are supposed to focus on the dot, not the target. Bullseye shooters do this all the time. I do too for bullseye, but for action I prefer to focus on the target. I don't need bullseye precision, and it is quicker. I look at the target, the gun positions itself and the dot is superimposed on what I want to hit.

Don't know about bullseye but you are not supposed to focus on the dot in our games. Focus on the targets and let the dot get in the way.

I can't see near or far with out my glasses. Tried to shoot Limited for a little while and it was a waste of my time. My eyes could not focus fast enough so it was back to open. I see just fine with corrective lenses and I don't have a problem seeing the dot......except when I forget to turn it on.

I have prescription inserts for my Rudys. I had my dominant eye main lens adjusted to focus on the front sight. Non-dominant is for distance, with reader half-moons in the lower. They work great for iron sights. I've been shooting Open for a year, and it doesn't work well. The dot is in focus but the target is not. I've gone to wearing my prescription sunglasses instead. Works much better for me, but I've still got a solid lock on D-class in Open.