Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3N37 VS N105 for open major loads

Arturo

Just curious to get thoughts on the characteristics of open major loads with these two powders. N105 is gassy and runs very well. My current loads is 124gn MGB JHP with 10.2 N105 in 38 SC. I have had several people tell me they really like 3N37 and I see its roughly 2 grains less per round to achieve the same speed. So I want to try it. I am wondering what I should expect as far as feel and grouping. Is it as consistent? Thoughts?

Why bother with 3N37 if Power Pistol is available? The flash from 3N37 is not as bad as Power Pistol - but not enough to justify the extra $$! (IMHO)

The charge weight needed to make major with Power Pistol will cause severe primer flow...and you still won't make major, and the gun most likely won't run...been there, tried that...it is damn funny though, watching the super white flashes.

What is you don't like about N105? If you can make major with it I can't see any reason to use a faster powder.

I just have not tried anything else. Also, I see most of the 3N37 loads are around 8.5 grains and my load is 10.2. More ammo per pound if I go to3N 37. But if it doesn't run the comp as well and is more harsh in the hand I will stick with what I have been running. I am making major just fine. 169.5.

Edited by Arturo

What is you don't like about N105? If you can make major with it I can't see any reason to use a faster powder.

I just have not tried anything else. Also, I see most of the 3N37 loads are around 8.5 grains and my load is 10.2. More ammo per pound if I go to3N 37. But if it doesn't run the comp as well and is more harsh in the hand I will stick with what I have been running. I am making major just fine. 169.5.

7.7 gn of 3n37 @ 1.185 with a 124 RN. 9mm

173 pf in my trubor...

No ports, so this is bouncy and as someone else mentioned, this definitively hits you in the hand...

I am using it because I bought a fair amount when it was available, will not buy anymore when its gone...

I thought n105 felt a little sluggish. I would recommend trying 3n38. The charge is only a fraction less but you can get it in 4 lb jugs so it's cheaper. It's very close to n105 in terms of speed and gas but it felt right on in terms of too snappy v. too sluggish.

I also noticed that newer lots don't seem to have the fireball issue.

If you want cheaper that's just as good, IMO, AA7. Easy to load (non compressed) and it shoots a lot like 3n38.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok curve ball at you. Accurate 7. 10.2gr with 124 or 11.2gr with a 115gr bullet. (38 Super Comp). Accurate 7 is the poor man's N105. Which powder you choose to use is subjective. You shoot it it feels good you go with it. Just like a woman that is why the divorce rate is so high. The correct method is with your timer and making sure the accuracy is there. I never accept a bullet or load until it passes the 50 yard test!

If you have an old school comp then you need a powder that takes 10 grains to get to power factor to engage the comp. I have one of those Bedel Titanium comps on one gun and I power it up to 175 pf or more to get it to feel good. My Dawson comped guns can shoot 168 and feel good.

So the real answer is try some decide on one, yeah the road of life is paved with dead squirrels that couldn't make up their mind, I recommend the timed testing.