Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ca 3-gun Series Comes To Sacramento

Geoff....Thought my "gaming" idea on our last shotgun/handgun stage was a good idea!! Oh well........

I really did think it was a great idea, I just feel better that we did it in line with the match officials (majority) call on it :-) At a big match, with that course description, I'm all over it with ya ;-)

It was a great day of shooting and the squad was great because of the rest of the members.

--

Regards,

well geoff, i agree...i set that stage up myself and after about 4.5 hours, i had enuf..planned on 2 more walls on each side of the black visqueen but as you noticed, we ran out of walls! kudos for shooting it the way ya did. BTW, i watched most of yer squad shoot it and was wondering why none of you did the pistol in mid-stage? IMHO, it was faster that way.

For the tactical shooters, I don't think it was faster to shoot the pistol mid-stage. Number the shotgun arrays 1-4 from L to R, I shot 1, 2 then 4, 3 and finished with the pistol. Going from 2 to 4 took less time than stuffing 6 shells in the gun so the movement didn't make a difference. The difference doing it this way was not having to clear the pistol till after the last shot.

The squad I was in had 3 Mini-14, 2 M1A, 1 HK91, 2 SKS, and 1 AR. The 3 of us with 308 did a good job throwing the flasher off the mini poppers on stage 6. One of the guys even sent the mini popper flying off the platform it sat in.

The squad I was in had 3 Mini-14, 2 M1A, 1 HK91, 2 SKS, and 1 AR.  The 3 of us with 308 did a good job throwing the flasher off the mini poppers on stage 6.  One of the guys even sent the mini popper flying off the platform it sat in.

I was on this squad as well. It was my first 3-gun match. Had a great time!

Thanks to everyone in the squad for their help and everyone who put on the match.

The squad I was in had 3 Mini-14, 2 M1A, 1 HK91, 2 SKS, and 1 AR.  The 3 of us with 308 did a good job throwing the flasher off the mini poppers on stage 6.  One of the guys even sent the mini popper flying off the platform it sat in.

I was on this squad as well. It was my first 3-gun match. Had a great time!

Thanks to everyone in the squad for their help and everyone who put on the match.

Our squad had 4 AR's, 2 Mini's and an M1A. One of our squad mates really busted a move when transitioning between left and right on stage 5. You really had to be there to see it ;)

Vince

I saw the guy with the M1A and he musta made swiss cheese out of the yellow plates on 1.

I did 2 the 1,2,4 and 3 way and finished with pistol. I can't see that any other way that was kosher would have been faster.

Had a good time. Boy was I beat. First six stager all year and after dropping off everyone got home at 7:15. Long ass day but very worth it.

Looking forward to Richmond long gun match in July...........

Yeah, the guy with the Garand put holes in every plate on stage one I looked at (his squad was right before us on stage 1). That aught six waqs kickin' the steel all ovah the place ;-)

What the hell was the guy shooting? Being one of the M1A guys, I've tested steel jacketed surplus 308 ammo on rifle plates and they don't go through. At less than 25 yards, it'll put a nice dent, but never go through.

when we were tearing down the long range rifle stages, several of our flashers had hits on the bar itself! someone was holding over (targets were about 180 yds) by a good 2 feet and i bet their rifle was zeroed at 200 yds! not good...

What the hell was the guy shooting? Being one of the M1A guys, I've tested steel jacketed surplus 308 ammo on rifle plates and they don't go through. At less than 25 yards, it'll put a nice dent, but never go through.

He was shooting military surplus 30.06 FMJ ball. The steel plates on stage 1 were NOT rifle grade steel and the fact that they only had a few holes in them was suprising to me. I think shooting steel with rifles has to be kept to 60+ yards and the steel ABSOLUTELY HAS TO BE of a hardness that won't crater. If cratered steel (the plates on stage 1 were heavily cratered) is shot with rifle, ejecta/spatter can come back 50+ yards at significant velocities if the round impacts in an existing crater. Not good IMHO under any circumstance.

--

Regards,

someone was holding over (targets were about 180 yds) by a good 2 feet and i bet their rifle was zeroed at 200 yds! not good

Probably wasn't even zeroed, because if it was really zeroed at 200, the shooter would be capable of hitting a flasher at 180 with it ;-)

I am being smart a$$, but the truth be that if someone is capable of getting a solid 200 yard zero with a rifle that is a real good group on paper (1.5-2 MOA), then 23 inches high is a bigun' no matter the support and there was support available at every position on 5 & 6. Just a practice issue IMHO ;-)

BTW, I just recently measured the pivot bearing center to plate center on an MGM flasher and it is exactly 23 inches)